Israeli Authorities Confiscate iPads, Block Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss78

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Wow! Talk about being overzealous and ridiculously strict over a gadget! This is by the far the weirdest ruling I have heard of all week. Do these people really have nothing better to do? The fact that even the minister didn't know about it just proves what a bunch of mismanaged fools are running that place!

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Its funny really that they base it on something like the wifi regulations for the fact that the wifi abilities of the ipad are next to useless anyway, even in america

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
WiFi and cell phone radio emissions have been a concern of EU since studies have shown that they may be implicated in health issues.

EU still turns a blind eye since we have major cell phone manufacturers and the adoption of wireless technologies are high, alas at least they control the power of the emitted signal.

Apple if you want to pass your product, find a good way to tunnel the signals through that unibody case, simply augmenting the power signal will get you nowhere...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Must suck to be a Macintosh fan in Israel right now.
Afraid that they still sucky Wifi will fry everyones brains?

I have better things to worry about, like that I have only 15 minutes to get to work now...

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
The reason is bogus, IEEE 802.11 is an open universal standard and the wi-fi chipset is the same as the iPhone, already for sale in Israel. The same thing could be said for the GSM version too.

They are just for some strange reason trying to deter gray importation, maybe to be protectionist for some Israeli company making a similar product.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]They are just for some strange reason trying to deter gray importation, maybe to be protectionist for some Israeli company making a similar product.[/citation]

So, the Israeli government wants to protect internal markets for an unknown IsraeliPad? I don't see it happening. Even if there was a company developing a tablet to rival the iPad, they aren't going to simply focus on selling it in Israel, and rely on a government ban of the iPad to support its sales. Chances are this is just the Israeli hyper-sensitive security train running amok.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Must suck to be a Macintosh fan in Israel right now.[/citation]

Actually it always sucked being an Apple fan in Israel, though the former representatives before iDigital were even worse.

It's not just with Apple though. I am still waiting for Athlon II CPUs at 45W TDP to arrive.

Also, many technology items are overpriced.

But thanks for caring, anamaniac :)

BTW Kevin, you should've used photos from this article instead:
Israeli Security Opens Fire on a MacBook. Thrice.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Actually there are macs and practically any apple product in Israel. The banning of lower frequency wifi is probably due to conflict with army frequencies (or other specially reserved frequencies), so it actually does make a lot of sense.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]The reason is bogus, IEEE 802.11 is an open universal standard and the wi-fi chipset is the same as the iPhone, already for sale in Israel. The same thing could be said for the GSM version too.They are just for some strange reason trying to deter gray importation, maybe to be protectionist for some Israeli company making a similar product.[/citation]
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]So, the Israeli government wants to protect internal markets for an unknown IsraeliPad? I don't see it happening. Even if there was a company developing a tablet to rival the iPad, they aren't going to simply focus on selling it in Israel, and rely on a government ban of the iPad to support its sales. Chances are this is just the Israeli hyper-sensitive security train running amok.[/citation]

Bureaucrats - they live tiny little lives, in their tiny little bubble, not a care in the world, and then all of a sudden they decide to think for themselves and get all confused. I think that's a universal problem.

Could it be some corrupt bureaucrats are trying to protect the interests of some company? Always a possibility (that's also a universal problem), but I doubt it in this case.

dauthus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]The reason is bogus...They are just for some strange reason trying to deter gray importation, maybe to be protectionist for some Israeli company making a similar product.[/citation]
Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that security in Israel a top priority. Your conspiracy theory of an Israeli counter-product is at best like saying 9/11 being an inside job, and at worst just being plain anti-semitic. /facepalm

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So wait a minute, American WiFi standards use more power than Europe, Israel, and other places? And yet I still have problem getting a signal to go through a couple walls of my apartment? You foreigners must have to have a WiFi repeater in every room of your house.

pawntec

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
:,( lol not apple=Satan spawn! to bad Microsoft didn't let them do under many years ago. apple products=overrated items

Status
Not open for further replies.