Issues with Alienware M14 R2

nmy4567

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hello,
I'm trying to find the cause of my laptop randomly switching off.
Please be patient with me, I'm not an expert on laptops.
Some months ago I had a problem with the battery not charging ("battery connected but not charging") which sorted itself out after some plugging/unplugging trial and error. Since then my alien started to randomly switch off, sometimes while doing nothing, sometimes while playing a game, sometimes while moving the laptop around, sometimes while plugging/unplugging an usb (mouse or external storage, you name it), without any pattern or an error message. As of late colored lines and squares have appeared randomly on my screen, it then freezes and shuts down. Once or twice I got the classic blue with white text error screen. Some days it worked just fine the whole day, running pretty smoothly.
This week the alienware system actually tells me the battery is gone and should be replaced, so I took out the battery, laptop should work without it as well!
Now It shuts down even more, usually at startup, I rarely manage to get to desktop. External battery charger seems to be working (when the battery was in the laptop it was charging it)
If I put the battery back in it's just the same (battery is really gone, I got that).
Can I exclude the internal power supply?
Anybody got the same issue? Have I fried the alien?? :)
thank you
ps: laptop was bought in feb 2013, used mercilessly probably every single day since :ange:

Solution
Well, some laptops don't actually function well, or function at all, with the battery out. So that is one issue. However, that shouldn't be the cause of it turning off.

Have you tried installing monitoring software to see if you are getting any overheating? If you have used it as much as you say, it would not surprise me if that was the problem.

And it would be best to sort it out now, while it is still under warranty (they usually last a year) so that you can contact the manufacturer if need be, before that warranty expires.
Well, some laptops don't actually function well, or function at all, with the battery out. So that is one issue. However, that shouldn't be the cause of it turning off.

Have you tried installing monitoring software to see if you are getting any overheating? If you have used it as much as you say, it would not surprise me if that was the problem.

And it would be best to sort it out now, while it is still under warranty (they usually last a year) so that you can contact the manufacturer if need be, before that warranty expires.

Solution

nmy4567

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Warranty is already expired (in 2014) I'll simply take it to someone, get to know what could be the problem then I'll see if it's worth saving. I can't get to install nor to use monitoring software because it shuts down. We'll see, thank you for the answer!