It's Real: Nintendo Confirms New Console 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Sweet. Lets get the rumor mill churning! Gimme HD, digital distribution, a social environment like Xbox Live/Kinect, some comfy and not gimmicky controllers, and the Firefox Babe. :D

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]No DvD/BD playback, no wii 2......[/citation]
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]oh yea, and if it can't stream like a ps3 either....[/citation]

Buy a media player. Call me old fashioned, but I buy video game systems to play video games.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hopefully this new console will not only succeed the wii but be competition for the other consoles. The wii is cool but only in a niche. Its graphics are weak and so are the specs. Please come out with something cutting edge and not just the controllers the whole thing. That way the other 2 guys have something to shoot for/past and we get better consoles for everybody :). BTW I game on a PC now but it seems they arnt doing many PC only games or full PC versions. So it seems a better console game will mean better PC games as well.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I was hoping they would come out with a new Xbox or the PS4, I'm really not into the Wii but I did enjoy some games I played on my brothers Wii.

Looks like I will have to upgrade my PC for BF3 and HL3 when ever it comes out.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I'm going to be very disappointed if they come out with it and have a graphics card that is similar to the one on the 360. They could do SOOOOO much better now. Why would they try to match the 360? That is really really really old tech now. Video card tech is insanely better than when they made the 360. Take one of my AMD 6950s and you have more graphics horsepower than an entire stack of xbox 360s...

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
R700? Honestly i thought they would use something newer than that since really that's almost two generations old.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I was hoping they would come out with a new Xbox or the PS4, I'm really not into the Wii but I did enjoy some games I played on my brothers Wii.Looks like I will have to upgrade my PC for BF3 and HL3 when ever it comes out.[/citation]
I wouldn't count sony and microsoft out for the count just yet. They could still come out with new systems. It's really about time for them to do so. They could make a system that is a ton better than the current ones. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if they had a xbox 720 (or whatever they are going to call it) with a gtx 580 or 570 or a amd 6950 or 6970 type card. In reality, I doubt that they would spend that much on a card for the new systems, but if they did, it would be incredible. :)

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well, It's nice to have some substance behind all the rumours now.
Of course, there's still going to be a lot of filthy lies roaming around the internet between now in E3.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I wouldn't count sony and microsoft out for the count just yet. They could still come out with new systems. It's really about time for them to do so. They could make a system that is a ton better than the current ones. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if they had a xbox 720 (or whatever they are going to call it) with a gtx 580 or 570 or a amd 6950 or 6970 type card. In reality, I doubt that they would spend that much on a card for the new systems, but if they did, it would be incredible.[/citation]

Well I believe what ever graphics card is in the the PS3/XBox 360 was virtually the best card available for the time. It would be nice if they added 8GB of ram like Crytek suggested they do.

Rumors have the PS4.Xbox720 coming out in 2014 but it's really anyones guess.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
R700 GPU it's Radeon 4xxx.

In 2012, we will have Radeon 7xxx. They should use at least a new GPU, considering that the GPU will not be updated for many generations.

Todays console GPU have just the power of an integrated video on an i3.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
when supply finally arrives in our shore, it will be my first console, tired of slow software emulators, its time for the real thing plus if its from ibm processor with considerable floating point juice, what can you ask for more...

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]R700 GPU it's Radeon 4xxx.In 2012, we will have Radeon 7xxx. They should use at least a new GPU, considering that the GPU will not be updated for many generations.Todays console GPU have just the power of an integrated video on an i3.[/citation]
With less overhead. Don't forget that.

Besides, I dare you to play Crysis 2 on an Intel chipset and an i3 and have it look as good as it did on the 360. It just won't happen.

People don't seem to give enough credit to the consoles, it's not like they run anything like a netbook, ultraportable, or similarly low end PC. In most cases I think people look at spec sheets and expect consoles to run the same as a PC with exactly the same specs. Truth is Linux, OSX, and Windows all run with a crap load more overhead than the OS of a console so even with the same specs a console can just do more.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Good point Guardian Angel, consoles do run on alot less. The problem for me is that just like in economics I like to see a balance so that the consoles aren't holding PCs back but aren't better than them either. I don't want to spend 1k on a PC so that some punk with a $300 console can have his games look just as good as mine. I know I'm going to get marked down but that's just my opinion. PCs gamers pay the premium because they want the best. Period.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I'm going to be very disappointed if they come out with it and have a graphics card that is similar to the one on the 360. They could do SOOOOO much better now. Why would they try to match the 360? That is really really really old tech now. Video card tech is insanely better than when they made the 360. Take one of my AMD 6950s and you have more graphics horsepower than an entire stack of xbox 360s...[/citation]

Well for starters, the Wii 2 or what ever it going to be called has a GPU thats going to be a revamp r700 (some where with the performance of the HD 4xxx's). The xbox 360 has a gpu thats closer to the r500. (more people say that it's very close to the performance of the ATI Radeon X19xx's).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

I could be wrong and all but i think the gpu's a kinda in different in different leagues as you have 3 generations of gpu arch differences.

Now what is similar to the wii 2 to xbox 360 is not the gpu but the cpu.....

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't care that much what the graphics can do, just so long as its pricetag reflects graphical capabilities. $350-$400 means it can house a $240 6950 1GB and be produced at a loss of $50. Then it'll destroy anything on 1080p. Maybe 2GB graphics memory if it wants 3D.

I personally would sell it for $200 and put a $150 Radeon 5850 in it (or $160 GTX 460 1GB). Of course, the ideal thing would be an optimized version of one of these cards (kinda like how a 460 is optimized) that's balanced better in its architecture.

Really, a 5850 could get GTX 470 or higher performance without the Windows overhead and would totally destroy on the target 1080p resolution. As a computer game player, I don't mind games being designed for what can be done with a GTX 470.

Also, It should play 3D Blu-ray because that doesn't cost much more but makes it seem modern. It should also have a browser and usb connectivity (for keyboards/mice). Then it can manager any content you want with full Internet compatibility as well as a robust App store/Nintendo Account/Social Network like Steam/Xbox Live. There's no reason a new console shouldn't have every one of these features and it will need all of them to be competitive.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I don't care that much what the graphics can do, just so long as its pricetag reflects graphical capabilities. $350-$400 means it can house a $240 6950 1GB and be produced at a loss of $50. Then it'll destroy anything on 1080p. Maybe 2GB graphics memory if it wants 3D.I personally would sell it for $200 and put a $150 Radeon 5850 in it (or $160 GTX 460 1GB). Of course, the ideal thing would be an optimized version of one of these cards (kinda like how a 460 is optimized) that's balanced better in its architecture.Really, a 5850 could get GTX 470 or higher performance without the Windows overhead and would totally destroy on the target 1080p resolution. As a computer game player, I don't mind games being designed for what can be done with a GTX 470.Also, It should play 3D Blu-ray because that doesn't cost much more but makes it seem modern. It should also have a browser and usb connectivity (for keyboards/mice). Then it can manager any content you want with full Internet compatibility as well as a robust App store/Nintendo Account/Social Network like Steam/Xbox Live. There's no reason a new console shouldn't have every one of these features and it will need all of them to be competitive.[/citation]

Never going to happen homie. Nintendo does not sell consoles for a loss. Compared to Sony/Microsoft, they do not have the luxury as a company to risk loosing money on every unit sold in hopes of making it up in software sales or absorbing it.

The mentality you have as a computer gamer is skewing the logic and reasoning behind what should be inside of this console and you think is necessary.

Unfortunately with that being said, even though IGN's numbers are a little vague, with the track record Nintendo has and the future they seem content with living. Expect a console priced no more the 300-350, depending on what kinda crazy controller they come out with.

Raw materials to shelf, based on what is currently being manufactured, I would not be surprised if IGN were relatively close to their prediction.

And including Blu-Ray would mean paying Sony the right to do so, doubtful.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]You are correct, we do pay a premium. But we do get more out of each dollar put in. I.e. you don't have to buy a console (controllers, wireless adapters, headsets too!), AND a computer, just buy the computer. My wife and I hardly touch our 360 and Wii, and honestly it was money that might have sent better else where. (netflix was main reason, which we don't use anymore lol) BUT we both use our computers every day, gaming and business. You obviously know this, but it's important to keep in mind the tricks consoles perform like 'blurring' to hide the lack of processing power. There's a whole list of technological "cover-ups" they perform that one could Google. It's not the same experience IMHO.[/citation]

One thing to keep in mind, is that in the not too distant future, there will be little or no difference
between a game console and a desktop computer. Much like what has happened with the combining of media players and cell phones into one device, this same progression will happen to what we now call a desktop computer. Eventually, it will be about the size of today's hard drives and will be far more powerful than anything we have today. At the rate that technology is advancing this could happen much sooner then we think.

---Max

Status
Not open for further replies.