Itunes and Download drive locations

Zaber177

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey there.

I have a small dilemma. This is the first time i have a duel driver for my computer. The first is 475 gigabites and the other is near 3 Terabites. I had moved my music and videos to the bigger drive but i gotta download the actual Itunes program. Can you run the actual itunes player on one drive, the first, and get the music from the second one? Or is it better to put them all on the same drive?

I would appreciate a view point on this since I had never had more than one drive be essential runs on my computer. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Zaber

Solution

There would be absolutely no difference, as a matter of fact it would be better to have the library on the non-OS drive because it will not interfere with other programs' read speeds and would be more continuous on the disk (normally having a large media library such as video and music requires fragmentation, which clogs up the disk in general because the files have to be physically written in what space is available, whereas on a free disk there is plenty...

Nymical

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
Usually iTunes imports all media to its own program files, so it would be necessary to run on the same disk unless you specify a new library for iTunes which I believe you can do under File -> Library -> Options, at least in my version. Honestly it should be OK to put the entire iTunes program on the second drive, but it's all up to you.

McHenryB

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
I*t is perfectly possible to have the program files on one dosk and the dat on another. This is how I run iTunes on my Mac Mini. Just specify the location for the Library in the Preferences.

(BTW - this is not Open Source software.)

Zaber177

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
I'm sorry, I didn't realize, but this paticular question I had no idea where to put it. That said though, and its here now. But issue was over performance and storage, would it be alright to put it to two seperate drives, and would there be any issue or safer to put it on one?

Nymical

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015

There would be absolutely no difference, as a matter of fact it would be better to have the library on the non-OS drive because it will not interfere with other programs' read speeds and would be more continuous on the disk (normally having a large media library such as video and music requires fragmentation, which clogs up the disk in general because the files have to be physically written in what space is available, whereas on a free disk there is plenty of room to make it contiguous).

Solution