Iwata: Sales Low Due To Boring Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I say stop simplifying games, reducing content and taking out dimensions and replacing them with gimmicks like 'achievements', 'morality engines' and quicktime events. Bring back platformers, story driven games, FPSs with depth rather than trying to simulate the 'epic' films.

GTA:IV. Not one of the best games ever, but certainly one I enjoyed and played recently. It was story driven, had many dimensions, it didn't abuse quicktime events and didn't waste time trying to be epic (admittedly at times it was tedious).

Not many games achieve GTA quality, or even Half Life quality. They're stuck trying to be Halo. Halo was good, not great, but the genre of 'epics' it spawned suck.

Also, Donkey Kong was awesome.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I haven't seen a single game released since WoW that I really wanted. Of course, there are a few in development that might be, but they haven't been released yet.

STO had so much promise, only to be utterly screwed. So that one's boring. I'm so sick of first person shooters, I don't want to see another one for the rest of my life. No good combat flight sims or strategy games, either. The games market just sucks right now.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
There is a pretty steep price-tag on a lot of these games.

60 for a game that you could rent, and beat the campaign within the rental time.

Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Also, Donkey Kong was awesome.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I seem to have a hard time getting into games these days. They either feel boring with uninteresting characters, unpolished, or like I'm not really in control. Maybe it is a result of having seen most of it all already. I certainly wouldn't be apposed to remakes of some classics.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Iwata has no idea what he's talking abo...

Oh wait for once he's right. There are no good games out FOR THE NINTENDO PLATFORM.

Sony has some great ones right now. Maybe all Nintendo needs is better hardware...

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
He is right. There are two games I am eyeballing. Fallout 3 New Vegas is a must have, PC version. The second is possible if it turns out good for the PC, Dues Ex 3.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
The next element that video games need (and eventually will have) will be spectators gambling their paychecks on who will win. Virtual "cockfights" in a Mortal Kombat fashion, with Go Go dancers, booze, and bookies.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I cant choose my own server anymore. I cant kick out idiots who want to ruin my online gaming experience. All games are now dumbed down for the casual user forgetting that the hardcore needs more. Some genres are being totally ignored while others are being flooded with junk.

Also agree with Clintonio

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
The problem now is Video Games are considered a legitimate entertainment medium,so most of the games that get press are created for the express purpose to achieve blockbuster status. Think of what Halo did, and how Halo 2 got more money than the major box office gross that weekend. The Production values on games went up, and with people like the head of Activision only wanting games he can milk sequels from, diverse games are not being made because they probably won't make the money spent back. Usually, that is the fault of the Publisher with lack of marketing and decent pricing. Back in the day when you had smaller teams of maybe(and I stress maybe) 10-15 people, and more likely 5-10, there was no pressure from shareholders to release copies of other hit games and a dozen sequels. Unfortunately, I do not think we will get the general quality we enjoyed in games just before the demise of the Xbox and Gamecube. Too many people see dollar signs, rather than well thought out games that dont always have to be B-movie scripts.

BTW, Games have gotten ALOT easier in the past decade or so. Playing Q3 and UT, ghosts and Goblins, Contra...hard games. Now for the price of $50 you get essentially an 8 hour tech demo.

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
seriously, games aren't selling? I've bought 3 already this year, and I plan on buying 3 to 4 more before the end of the year. What's wrong with everyone else?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"Games are too boring"
Says the company that has a habit of releasing nearly entirely sequels. Nintendo has had some innovative ideas and great games, but they've also shoveled out some stinkers based entirely on namesake. Any decent Nintendo game is going to have 4 sequels milking the same idea. How many times has Mario thrown a party, or decided to take up a new sport? OBESE PLUMBERS ARE NOT GOOD TENNIS PLAYERS.

Meanwhile, most other companies focus entirely on graphics. Graphics are cool, I like things looking like the things they're supposed to look like. But they seem to entirely ignore any enjoyable gameplay in favor of these graphics. You're making a game, not a motion picture. If you can't turn the graphics off and play that game as a wireframe, you're doin it wrong.
Oh, and let's see some difficulty. "Accomplishments" are not accomplishments when they take 5 minutes of button holding. I mean real difficulty, things that take thought and skill, not thumb endurance.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]rad666[/nom]At least someone in the game industry realizes the problem...too bad it's Nintendo...[/citation]

The first step to solving a problem is recognizing it exists.

Since Nintendo are part of the problem, they should be taking steps to fix it, lest we have another crash of '83.

I'd like to hear what Ubisoft, Activision, EA and countless startups who produce shovelware have to say about this.

Oh, and Facebook games. No-one's going to pay $50 for a game when they can hop on Facebook and play for free.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Hearts of Iron 3, Batman Arkham Asylum and ArmA 2 are some of the games I enjoyed playing in the last 12 months, each for at least 40 hours. I've been playing computer games since the late eighties and games have never been better... at least on the PC. :)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'd say Nintendo is one of the offenders, always rehashing old names like Super Mario, Donkey Kong and whatnot. Sure, it might be a gaming icon but honestly I think it's time to let the man rest in his pipes for a bit.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
ONE game so far in the past few years that's had my attention on EVERYTHING in the game and kept me up all hours of the night like old games on the PS2 did.

Red dead redemption.

Games that are fun and good are truly few and far between.

I agree with Clintonio and IFLATLINEI.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Graphics development has grinded to a halt. X-bawx and PS3 are ruining good games and holding back the evolution of computer games. Look at how many lame 3. person games that are made on a outdated version of the Unreal engine....

Good things can be made with this engine - Batman Arkham Asylum is one, but that game is far deeper than 90% of the crap developers feed us.

Good games in 2009/2010:
Mass Effect 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Torchlight
Trine

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I think this is market saturation. Back in the 80's and 90's I'm sure sales of SNES and Genesis consoles didn't reach the numbers achieved by today's consoles. There are only so much people today who want to play video games. Heck, if they told us there's a slump in the market for food, THEN I'd be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.