Jack Thompson Disbarred, Effective in 30 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
it is a proud day for the video gaming world,
violent video games do not program people into serial killers,
and this lunacy from a supposed sane person has finally been put to a stop.

and parents follow the ESRB ratings so we don't have to listen to your kids swear.

derrickboyd

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Interesting comments coldmast. So you're saying video games can program kids to swear but can not program them in other ways ;)

Face it people. Exposure to something does not "program" you, but it does shift your perception of the world around you. Swearing and serial killing are both considered bad. So why does a game cause one and not the other? Two reasons that I can think of.
1) Serial killing has severe legal impact, swearing does not.
2) Our moral upbringing stresses one is VERY wrong and the other is just impolite. This moral upbringing therefor overrides the video game for serial killing but not for swearing (at least in most people who have had a good upbringing).

The lesson? Spend time with your kids!

PS: UT3 Rules!!!

G

@Derrick: I don't think Coldmast thinks games teach swearing, I think he wants fewer 13 year olds swearing on XBox live while he is trying to play.

G

Thank goodness this idiot is finally out of the courts (well, until he files 354387357 appeal cases). The truth about violent video games is that if parents are adequately monitoring the media that is presenting itself to their children, and spending enough time with them to instill core values, then the games aren't going to make the child a serial killer, or whatever other whack job philosophies he was trying to argue. I agree with ESRB ratings - get a clue parents - if it says not recommended for children under X, then your child under X age probably shouldn't be exposed to it. Don't blame video game companies for your own negligence as a parent.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
my comment about swearing was rhetorical, and kids who are taught not to swear, do not swear, no matter who swears around them.
(which I do agree is impolite in some crowds, and yet completely acceptable in others)

@phisrow, I can't afford XBOX live.

I believe that what a child needs most is love, food, and health.

G

Holy buckets!

This has brightened an otherwise very cruddy day.

*contented sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.