Solved! Jailbroken Apple TV 2 vs Logitech Revue- $99 faceoff....

marselsipod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
All in the title. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Kinda leaning on the Revue for now, since the keyboard is nice by itself, and I can use it for a custom HTPC if I don't like the Revue box itself.

I need my settop box to do the following:
Netflix streaming
Hulu is also a nice addition, but not required
Access and play media from SMB (samba) shares from local NAS
Play files from USB drives (not needed, but nice addition once again)

Thats pretty much it. Please help even if you only know the answer to part of the question, I just want to whats better for me now. Will be hooking this up to a ~46" LED once I buy one.

THANKS!!

Solution
i would go with the apple TV,, logitech revue has a sweet keyboard, but that's about it,,
if you jailbreak an ATV,, you can put XBMC on there and it can playback almost any kind of file, although I haven't done enough research, you should still be able to stream netflix,, you won't really miss the 1080p as 720p is still pretty decent, especially on a screen smaller than 50"
Apple also has a whole ecosystem and you may find alot more uses for the atv integrating with you home system than the revue ever will

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i would go with the apple TV,, logitech revue has a sweet keyboard, but that's about it,,
if you jailbreak an ATV,, you can put XBMC on there and it can playback almost any kind of file, although I haven't done enough research, you should still be able to stream netflix,, you won't really miss the 1080p as 720p is still pretty decent, especially on a screen smaller than 50"
Apple also has a whole ecosystem and you may find alot more uses for the atv integrating with you home system than the revue ever will

Solution

RLocksley

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Personally , i would do the revue. take a look at this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370416,00.asp#fbid=jD1ynGDp0id

it is a comparison between the revue, apple tv, and roku

rcrh

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
If SAMBA shares are important to you then forget the Revue & the Roku. Both are limited to DLNA. If you can handle that terrible experience then either would be fine.

If you want SAMBA your only choice here is to jailbreak an aTV and install XBMC.

If you can live without the metadata of XBMC you should look at the WDTV Live SMP.

It's the same price as the others, plays almost anything you can throw at it and supports SAMBA right out of the box.

Best of luck.

flux34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

Since the last Revue update 1 week ago, GTVBox player is able to play anything from a samba share :)
I have mkv with embedded subtitles that play ok, avi+srt also!

flo