Jamming Tech Bocks Hackers from Pacemakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak260705

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Please let me be the one who gets to flip the switch for the chair if some d-bag actually ever does this and kills someone.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Why??? That's a question I'd really have answered, of all the things in the world a pacemaker?
It really makes me doubt the hacker community if they actually came up with something like this.
They're Hackers not Soldiers..... they screw up networks and rigs not pacemakers and stuff like that......
Maybe it's a govt. agency in the guise of a hacker community, I could expect such a move from them, not from the infamous hacker community.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
It's a good thing researchers are focused on preventing such an unimaginable scenario. I have several relatives who rely on such a device. Any hacker that even tries to such a thing should be sent to prison for life or be given the chair, injection, rope, etc. (maybe all at once), no questions asked.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I wonder how often it happened that some one has hacked into pacemakers. Anyway it is good that they have made this jamming device.

Cylent

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
@ak260705

For someone evil enough to do something as heinous as hacking a pacemaker death by electric chair would be too soft.

I'd prefer "death by a thousand cuts." Imagine, if you will, a paper cut. They hurt a lot and bleed quite a bit as well, by itself it poses no real threat to someones life. Now imagine one thousand (or more) of them all over one's body.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Cylent[/nom]@ak260705 For someone evil enough to do something as heinous as hacking a pacemaker death by electric chair would be too soft.I'd prefer "death by a thousand cuts." Imagine, if you will, a paper cut. They hurt a lot and bleed quite a bit as well, by itself it poses no real threat to someones life. Now imagine one thousand (or more) of them all over one's body.[/citation]

thats a chinese execution method. its a LONG ordeal in which they make a series of 3000 cuts all about 1 inch in size. it is their harshest method, and most people if any ever make it to the end, but they continue making the cuts even after death.

now that said, how many devices like this were ever hacked?

or better yet, why not make a push button on the device, that would stick out and be some where in your out side the rib cage, that needs to be poked with a needle to activate a mode where for an hour or so, its changeable?

this way a hacker cant get to it, and its only changeable when it needs to be.
seriously, you can take a needle prick once every 3 months.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
What kind of scumbag would actually do such a thing? Well I'm sure there are people sick enough out there, so I'm glad to see they are coming up with a solution.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Pacemaker Malware....

"We've detected registry errors and viruses in your heart! We've slow it down to a safe level to protect you, and will speed it up with HeartScanPro, only $49!!!!!"

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]I can't see any hacker caring enough to mess with a pacemaker but maybe I am wrong.[/citation]

Its not the hacker, its terrorist or blackmail. Lets say I'm a bad guy and wants to take our a target who has a pacemaker... Slow it down a bit, make him feel tired. Then put him to sleep or kill him from a distance. It could be days or weeks before someone realizes that a person was murdered.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I'm not sure people who try and take control of pacemakers and insulin pumps and kill/torture/knock out people should be called hackers. Hackers are really bright people who break through cyber security for constructive purposes. Crackers are the bad ones. Anyone who does this pacemaker stuff is a potential murderer however.

I don't think hackers would be happy about being called murderers.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Guns don't kill people. People kill people.[/citation]
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people. Guns just make bullets go really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.