[jane] Apple Deleting MacBook FireWire Complaints from Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternator

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I'm sure it would be useful for the new macbook to have one, and perhaps Apple has listened to constructive feedback and it will be reintroduced to the macbook.

But some people seemed to have lost the plot over this.
Lets see:
I can still buy a macbook pro with firewire
I can still buy a desktop mac with firewire
I can still even buy a macbook with firewire - the plastic version and at a cheaper price now

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
stupid, stupid, stupid....grow up. how many windows laptops have a firewire port? Not many. BTW i do own a MB Pro and never really use the port. I have a video camera that records on SD cards in HD. A 16gb card will hold about 1 hour of video (HD) and about 3 hours of video @ 800x600. I almost forgot, if you don't like the 13inch model then get the 15, from what i remember the 15inch has the fire wire 800.

G

stupid stupid stupid... I don't need that option so how could you? I have a video camera with some specs and it records video. I almost forgot, pay more money than you want and quite your discontent.

unatommer

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
This is retarded - first they change the voltage of the ipod dock connector on the new nano so that it doesn't work with any of the 3rd party products and now this.
This is an interesting move considering apple touts its "iLife" suite with "iMovie" - gee I wonder how people are going to import their video now? and it's not like Apple includes an expansion slot (like EVERY other laptop has) so that you can add a firewire card.
and NeBuN - who cares if you can record 3 hours of crap video on an SD card- most people like to use REAL video cameras not cheap pieces of junk. (oh, and there is ONLY a 13 macbook - the 15" is only available on the pro)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
unatommer HD recording is not as you would say "cheap piece of junk" if you know anything about high speed SD cards you will come to realization that they don't come cheap. let me say it again, "i can record in HD" and don't have to worry about connecting my camera to transfer the movies to my computer. maybe you need to buy better equipment, lol

frozenlead

Distinguished
So let me get this straight, people buy a new macbook without actually looking at the damn thing, and then complain it doesn't have what they want?
And, BTW, most notebooks today DO carry firewire ports, and pretty much all of them have expresscard slots, if not pcmcia.

Guess all those people will have to get PC's, which can crush those silly macbooks at everything they do.

And, "beefier graphics"? Really? A 9600mGT performs almost the same as the 8600mGT it replaced. You can't tell a difference between the two. When apple loads them with a better GPU and doesn't increase the price $500, then we'll talk beefier graphics.

G

For music, firewire is the defacto for transfer rates, as the real time through put of fire wire is faster then USB 2.0.

Mac is the big name in audio and is what many people will turn to for mobile recording. No firewire is a mistake from that point of view, as it was mac that originally pushed firewire.

G

Firewire 400= 400 mil
USB 2.0 = 480 mil

Why do Appleheads always think that their crap is always faster and better?
When it almost NEVER is. Or else, they'd have been gaming for the last 6 years, instead of hiding.

darkbob87

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Devin here

I think the reason a lot of Mac owners are upset is that FireWire is an Apple-created connector. Plus, a lot of those people complaining are coming from a video editing background. If you are using top end Mini DV-based camera, which is what a lot of students in film school use nowadays, you can no longer connect it to a MacBook because these cameras only use FireWire for connectivity. So, while the MacBook Pro has a lot to offer over the regular MacBook, many people who would have been content with a regular MacBook now have to shell out another several hundred dollars just to get a port? Seems a little unfair to me.

[citation][nom]Alternator[/nom]I'm sure it would be useful for the new macbook to have one, and perhaps Apple has listened to constructive feedback and it will be reintroduced to the macbook.

But some people seemed to have lost the plot over this.Lets see:
I can
still buy a macbook pro with firewire
I can still buy a desktop mac with firewire
I can still even buy a macbook with firewire - the plastic version and at a cheaper price now[/citation]

Lets see
Macbook pro $700 more for a $6 port plus more weight and bulk
Desktop (I'll just hop on the plan with a Mac Pro and 30" Cinema display)
Previous Macbook (I don't buy a new computer to get previous generation parts plus it does not have the GeForce 9400)

As for the people saying they don't need firewire so you don't either. Well I for one like fast external hard drives over firewire which also won't tax my CPU like USB will. However Apple did keep the more expensive blutooth which I am sure even less people use than Firewire and the more expensive 802.11n when for the vast majority 802.11g is fine. The most erksome part of Apple dropping firewire is not knowing what the future holds for the rest of the lines and if we will ever see FW3200 on a Mac.

If they are concerned about space they could use mini 4 pin connectors rather than the 6 pin.

I would have been fine with this if they gave us an expansion slot to use a third party card at least. I guess I can always go the Hackintosh route.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Apple try's to play off as the hip and cool company buy they really aren't. This isn't the first time Apple has tried to censor any criticism or the existence of major problems.

When you look past their marketing you will see how bad of a company they really are. Any company that blatantly censors its consumers voices just to keep people uneducated about a products flaws (such as that monitor problem they had) just so they continue to make more sales of a product simply doesn't deserve to stay in business.

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
For the $1999 price of the Macbook Pro, I would much rather get this HP:

* • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
* • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
* • 17.0" diagonal WXGA+ HD HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
* • 8GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
* • 320GB 5400RPM SATA HD with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • HP Imprint Finish (Mesh) + Microphone + Webcam
* • Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
* • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
* • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Especially since Adobe CS4 is 64-bit on the Windows side only. You can utilize much of that ram if you're working on some major project in CS4. Also, HP offers very similar specs on their new 13.3" laptop as well. With 64-bit computing now on our doorstep, I think for a high end laptop workstation, 6GB - 8GB of ram is the way to go, if you want something that will last your 4 years.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]deredita[/nom]For the $1999 price of the Macbook Pro, I would much rather get this HP: * • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) * • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz) * • 17.0" diagonal WXGA+ HD HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900) * • 8GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) * • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT * • 320GB 5400RPM SATA HD with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection * • HP Imprint Finish (Mesh) + Microphone + Webcam * • Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card * • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support * • 8 Cell Lithium Ion BatteryEspecially since Adobe CS4 is 64-bit on the Windows side only. You can utilize much of that ram if you're working on some major project in CS4. Also, HP offers very similar specs on their new 13.3" laptop as well. With 64-bit computing now on our doorstep, I think for a high end laptop workstation, 6GB - 8GB of ram is the way to go, if you want something that will last your 4 years. [/citation]

Very true you could get a awesome laptop like that for the same price and actually be able to run 99% of software rather than limiting yourself to the mercy of whomever feels like throwing Mac users a bone.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
It is true that many students and Video Pros have the higher-end video cameras. If your going to spend all that money on a high-end camera why not just buy a higher-end Notebook (one with firewire)? How about this idea, buy a USB-to-Firewire cable, seems like a trivial issue.

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Firewire 400= 400 mil
USB 2.0 = 480 mil

Why do Appleheads always think that their crap is always faster and better?
When it almost NEVER is. Or else, they'd have been gaming for the last 6 years, instead of hiding.

Because Firewire is faster than USB. Though USB is technically 480 vs 400, due to a very different architecture, Firewire actually has a much higher sustained throughput.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Feldwebel Wolfenstool[/nom]Firewire 400= 400 milUSB 2.0 = 480 milWhy do Appleheads always think that their crap is always faster and better?When it almost NEVER is. Or else, they'd have been gaming for the last 6 years, instead of hiding.[/citation]
That is the theoretical maximum speed. Anyone who's used both with the same external case or has ever read an external case review which uses both USB 2.0 and Firewire knows that Firewire is indeed faster in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.