Jedi Mind Finally Changes Name After Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

madeux

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I know it's cool to hate on big companies who sue smaller companies, but these guys were obviously trying to capitalize on the "Jedi" name. That being said... I really want to try out this hardware!

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Easy win for Lucas. Unlike what the Geek Squad/BestBuy may have to go through to get their cease and desist to stick against that Priest and his God Squad car lol.

What could be interesting someday though is how the word (term) "Jedi" is becoming more public knownledge or whatever the way is to explain it. For example, I remember from Business Law classes that "Rollerblade" had a tough time protecting their brand name "Rollerblade" because everyone just started referring to the sport of In-Line Skating as Rollerblading! So other companies started using the term, saying they were selling "Rollerblades" even though that was the other companies name. I think the same thing happened with "Kleenix".

But anyway, isn't Jedi an officially recognized religion in some countries now? Just because of the # of people who write it down as their religion on the nation census? I could see lawyers at some point trying to make the same argument as "Rollerblade" and "Kleenix" ha.

screechy

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
"Jedi Mouse" I want one now. Does it come with a mini lightsaber and a choice in light or dark?

If you're gonna steal a name it might as well be the best one

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jevon[/nom]Easy win for Lucas. Unlike what the Geek Squad/BestBuy may have to go through to get their cease and desist to stick against that Priest and his God Squad car lol.What could be interesting someday though is how the word (term) "Jedi" is becoming more public knownledge or whatever the way is to explain it. For example, I remember from Business Law classes that "Rollerblade" had a tough time protecting their brand name "Rollerblade" because everyone just started referring to the sport of In-Line Skating as Rollerblading! So other companies started using the term, saying they were selling "Rollerblades" even though that was the other companies name. I think the same thing happened with "Kleenix".But anyway, isn't Jedi an officially recognized religion in some countries now? Just because of the # of people who write it down as their religion on the nation census? I could see lawyers at some point trying to make the same argument as "Rollerblade" and "Kleenix" ha.[/citation]
I'm pretty sure that Kleenex is still a brand of 'Tissue Paper'. I don't think it has crossed the line to becoming accepted enough that competitors can use it. An example that has crossed that line is Aspirin. That is able to be used by anyone.

I actually put 'Jedi' as my religion on the last census (Canada). I don't think it has become officially recognized yet though. Too bad, it makes more sense that a lot of the established religions.

cranium

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Yah, this is one of those cases where a lawsuit was justified. Though it would have been much quicker to simply dispatch a team of jedi knights to handle it. Stupid Lucas.. the man is out of good ideas I tell ya

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Not surprised that they changed the name. Kinda hard to argue that using the term "Jedi" can reference anything other than Star Wars.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]jevon[/nom]...But anyway, isn't Jedi an officially recognized religion in some countries now? Just because of the # of people who write it down as their religion on the nation census? [/citation]

Yep, Jediism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism)

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This reminds me of Watto from Phantom Menace.
Lucas: "How are you going to fix this?"
Jedi Mind: "We are big fans! Lol!"
Lucas: "Big fans? I don't care about big fans, I need more money."
Jedi Mind: "We know that.. but..
[waves hand]
'Jedi Mind' will be fine."
Lucas: "No, it won't."
Jedi Mind: [waves hand again] "I said 'Jedi Mind' will be fine."
Lucas: "NO, it WON'T. What do you think you are a Jedi waving your hand like that? I'm greedy and make terrible movies, give me your monies."
Jedi Mind: "Damn!"

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
The lawsuit sought "injunctive relief and recovery of damages," claiming that the alleged trademark infringement would damage Lucasfilm's reputation and business by causing consumer confusion in the marketplace.

That from a guy who brought us the last 'Trilogy'. Perhaps he could use the settlement to make decent prequels. In the meantime I'm going back the 80's, minus Ja Ja bloody Blinks, the PC, Kids in battle zones looking like they came out of a salon, over-use of CGI etc etc. Collectively it seems like it's all made in order to appeal to the attention span of gnat but hey, we better not use the name Jedi..

elbert

Distinguished
This was foreshadowing in real life much like the old saying the writing was on the wall. George Lucas protects his works as if were his child and I really can't blame him. This after all is most of his life work.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]That from a guy who brought us the last 'Trilogy'. Perhaps he could use the settlement to make decent prequels. In the meantime I'm going back the 80's, minus Ja Ja bloody Blinks, the PC, Kids in battle zones looking like they came out of a salon, over-use of CGI etc etc. Collectively it seems like it's all made in order to appeal to the attention span of gnat but hey, we better not use the name Jedi..[/citation]

i seriously dont understand every old timer fan's (im an old timer too though) hatred for jar jar .. sure it's astupid cahracter , but what do you expect the movie was made for ALL audiences not jsut the grown up fan base,. really think back , was r2-d2 and c3-po's antic any better ? i've actually thoguht long and ahrd on this and i seriously can't say no .. c3 and r2 (especially c3) were both really stupid and annoying characters EVERY BIT as mucha s jar jar is in the prequels. differnece is your memory as a child is colored fondly because as a child you liked those gooffy robots. just like young kids today like the stupid humor that jar jar broght to the prequels.

as for teh plot and attention sapn grappign , NONE of teh starr wars movies had really good "attention grapping" of the originals the best was Emprie , because it was dark , out of the prequelsteh best was revenge of teh sith again cos it was dark. the whole series (not just prequels ) is goofy when you think about it , and all 6 movies were written mostly to appeal to children. so no i don'tthink goerge ruined star wars with the prequels ,i think they fit perfectly. as for teh CGI , that's just the times, soem things a re jsut impossible with out cig , (namely land scape shots) though i do think they should have stuck to a yoda puppet ,but then again i doubt they could have gotten a puppet to light saber fight as well as a cgi yoda did.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I'd imagine a "Jedi mouse" to be a rather dangerous (if do-gooding) rodent rather than an input device. I'm almost surprised that's not been done in some Lucasfilm/Disney hybrid abomination (or has it?).

Hoovers and Biros are classics for the name thing (in the UK at least), as is yo-yo I think. You'd probably have difficulty getting the mind tricks / light sabre concepts away from the film franchise though given that the people putting Jedi down as a religion probably can't actually demonstrate use of the force (Use the forks!).

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]differnece is your memory as a child is colored fondly because as a child you liked those gooffy robots[/citation]
I agreed (horrible spelling aside). I honestly think that if every Star Wars fan saw the original trilogy for the first time today, as an adult, they probably wouldn't be that enamored. However, most people (and I believe ALL serious Star Wars fans) saw the movies as a child or teenager, when their minds were young and impressionable. Most people can't look back objectively at the original Star Wars.

Think about anything else you might have watched as a child: He-Man, Thundercats, Power Rangers, Scooby Doo. Go back and watch those now. Sure, they have nostalgic value, but they're also really bad. The animation/action/acting/voices, its all bad.

If you liked those as a child, do you really think your fond memories of Star Wars are truly legitimate? I'm not saying the original movies weren't good, I'm just saying maybe "Annie Hall" WAS the better movie in 1977.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jevon[/nom]What could be interesting someday though is how the word (term) "Jedi" is becoming more public knownledge or whatever the way is to explain it.[/citation]

What you are talking about is common use. I can use the term Kleenex when talking about generic facial tissue. I can't market my own product under the Kleenex trade mark.

They may be able to get away with Jedi Mouse or other such use since the term Jedi has become common and normal use and may not be completely covered by the Star Wars trademarks. This is most likely what they were trying to get away with using Jedi Mind.

I can trade mark "ultimate graphite writing implement" to sell my pencil even though it is just as good as any other. "ultimate" completes my trademark making it a unique use for a graphite writing implement you can get anywhere. Later someone else may try to use "ultimate graphite pencil" and I can sue them since it comes too close to my use of the word "Ultimate".

The problem companies like Kleenex get into with their brand names is actually not going after those who infringe on it. By allowing someone else to use it through a lack of action it becomes implied that it is allowed. Many of these trade mark suits that fail are due to a long time passing before they pursue it.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
http://emotiv.com/apps/epoc/299/

At the very bottom:
"Please note that this product is available to US customers only."

Only works on US brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.