JPG Photos Damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Recently, my PC’s hard drive started having problems. I backed up a folder of photos to a different drive. I then replaced the problem drive and copied the photos back to the new one. Somewhere in the process, a number of the photos in the back up folder were damaged and therefore the copies that I copied back to the new drive were too. Two or three sections were created in each picture with different exposure levels. I have uploaded a sample:

http://www.freewebs.com/johnbil/cicadas.jpg

Strangely, none of the info changed for any of the files. They show the original dates, etc. - no modifications. Does anyone know what is causing these errors?

More importantly, does anyone know of any software or how I can repair this type of damage?

Regards...John

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It looks like the jpg is missing information and if that is the case you won't be able to repair it. It may be that all the data is there but something is shifted or being interpreted wrong because I can see the tearing but also in the bottom tear, part of the picture on the left actually belongs on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.