Judge: No More Royalties for Ringtones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Ummm... this won't stand very long...[/citation]
We'll see. I think a second ruling to determine the limit between this ruling and where the laws take effect is in the future. Anyone want to volunteer? Go to a park, call attention to yourself, play a ring tone, collect tips.

Someone needs to get this judge to the Supreme Court. She actually has some common sense!

Anyone else pronouncing ASCAP as as(s) cap?

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
holy cow, someone with some practical sense exists in our legal system...

And then the music industry wonders why we hate them so much.........

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Ummm... this won't stand very long...

Why?

The members of RIAA & MPAA are 1) greedy, 2) essentially are monopolies (well, oligopolies) 3) have enough money to buy a favorable position. They'll see the writing on the wall, and come to the aid of ASCAP. That's not to say that the actual artists (including composers & performers) get any out of any outcome.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Cell phone carriers are just as greedy, if not more so. Therefore, I get no satisfaction out of this ruling either way. I'd like some sort of federal regulation on the cell phone carriers' fleecing of their customers.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Such a greedy bunch of people! Next time all music instruments (guitars, pianos, drums..) being sold have to pay royalties, all ipods and zunes and nokias have to pay royalties, all kenwoods and pioneers have to pay royalties, all bose and whatever have to pay royalties?

G

I thought I heard someone humming a copyrighted song today - surely they should be paying royalties to RIAA.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
if they were responsible then every radio station would have to calculate estimated listeners and then estimate public playing of said radio station and pay royalties on that. The ASCAP and RIAA are truly reaching for straws and hopefully the pirates continue their trend (sorry Metallica and other artist counting on every penny they can get from their record label) and bankrupt all major record label. Then we can finally get to a true internet based recording industry where the artist actually collects 90% of the royalties they deserve instead of only collecting 10%... Pirates are actually fighting (inadvertently) for the artist rights and profits!

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Cell phone carriers are just as greedy, if not more so. Therefore, I get no satisfaction out of this ruling either way. I'd like some sort of federal regulation on the cell phone carriers' fleecing of their customers.[/citation]
Oh god no... Regulation drives prices up, not down. Removing regulations makes them fight it out with much harsher people than the government... it's consumers. If the government stops protecting these companies, they'll have to compete with one another.

Competition = Good, Government = not so much.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
This case is not over. I am sure it will go to the Federal court of appeals to be argued again in a higher court. This could easily be overturned (I don't think it will)and the fight is not over.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Oh god no... Regulation drives prices up, not down. Removing regulations makes them fight it out with much harsher people than the government... it's consumers. If the government stops protecting these companies, they'll have to compete with one another.Competition = Good, Government = not so much.[/citation]

Deregulation is not always a good thing. Look at the deregulation of oil and what it has done to drive prices up. Ever heard of Enron? They pushed for deregulation and screwed a bunch of people when natural gas was deregulated. Regulations are imposed to protect small businesses so it can be competitive with a much larger organization which benefits the consumer.

enterpol

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
while I tend to agree w/you Maxor, this isn't always the case. Part of the bank failures that led to our current financial crisis occurred because of not enough regulations. We figured the banks would be smart enough not to over leverage their capital and we were dead wrong. In a non truly competitive mkt. a.k.a. areas extremely high barriers to entry & strong oligopolies (music, cable, power, cell phone companies) regulation actually helps. Another ex. is TX power companies -- they were deregulated and yearly % price increases have gone UP not down (even after adjusting for higher fuel prices). Regulation prevents cheating & collusion in markets which creates unfair advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.