Judge Overturns MySpace Cyberbullying Verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Congrats for ruining what was a fine judgment, The two women should get what is coming to them.. Their direct bullying caused a emotionally unstable girl to kill herself.

At the very least they should have to pay grievances to the parents.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Boo hoo hoo. Cry me a river. While cyber "bullying" someone isn't very nice, it's hardly something someone should have to pay for. It's not her fault their kid was an idiot. I say we give the girl in the noose a Darwin Award and be done with it. Maybe her parents can also learn to be more active in their childrens lives.

G

I for one am glad to hear this verdict was overturned. While what the woman in this case does deserve some punishment, what she did is not illegal. A TOS is not a legally binding document you can go to jail for breaking, nor should it be. Imagine being put in jail for installing and Apple OS on non-Apple hardware (Yes, this is a silly example. But once you start heading down this road, it's a slippery slope.)

The family of the girl should take the woman to court for civil damages or the woman should be prosecuted under bullying laws (if they exist in her area.) The woman should not, and cannot, be put in jail for breaking a TOS.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Good, it should be dismissed.

Here is a brief explanation, written by a law professor (from my Alma Mater) who represented her, of why this was the right decision.

eximious

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I'm still not sure why the prosecution went with this vague "violating the TOS is a federal crime" offensive. Nevertheless, this case will be appealed and I'm fairly confident the 9th circuit will establish some precedent here, even if they exonerate Lori Drew.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If someone you've never met, or even heard their voice can make you kill yourself, you need help in the first place. But the parent shouldn't have been doing that either.

G

Jane:

Woman - the female human being (e.g. Lori Drew is a woman)
Women - plural of woman

benjaminwright_35

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The legal story on cyberbullying is not over. As state anti-harassment laws are revised to cover cyberbullying, schools and other institutions face the potential for lawsuits. --Ben

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Call me a jackass if you want but I honestly laugh when I hear that someone committed/attempted suicide because of cyber bullying.

Remember kids, you don't know them and they don't know you but you should take everything they say over the internet seriously because internet is serious business.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]thespellchecker[/nom]Jane:Woman - the female human being (e.g. Lori Drew is a woman)Women - plural of woman[/citation]

Thanks for the sarcasm. I'll fix the error now. Happy 4th of July.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Thanks for the sarcasm. I'll fix the error now. Happy 4th of July.[/citation]

Rather, thanks for being so patronizing. /facepalm.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Rather, thanks for being so patronizing. /facepalm.[/citation]

way to go! trolling your own comments section? its a simple correction, from thespellchecker, no need to get huffy.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Lucky here at toms no one here is that sensitive or messed up other wise this site would be the number 1 cause of IT and computer enthusiast suicide. There is such a thing as real friends and a Block button.

Kids theses days can't take reality........

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I agree, it should have been overturned. Give it time, the hacks in DC will make it a life sentence for this and everyoneone will have government moniters rammed up their arse to make sure.
Her mom was on another news site and I think she had a single mom, the soccer mom liberal types that believe all kids should get As as long as they try and that the smart kids have to come down to the other levels so all is fair, that would be a good reason her daughter was so messed up and I feel sorry for her she should have not been on the net.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Cyberbulling.. LMAO! I'm very glad this case got overturned. Maybe if parents would quit spoiling their freaking kids, and start disciplining, and quit making everything so freaking easy. Maybe they could get a little thicker skin. You know like we used to have.

If a kids commits suicide because of cyberbulling, or goes into a school and starts shooting people... There's something else going on and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with games/bullying. Those are just excuses to keep away from the root of the problem.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Porksmuggler[/nom]way to go! trolling your own comments section? its a simple correction, from thespellchecker, no need to get huffy.[/citation]

It's not trolling, it's my job. I'm supposed to read and respond to comments. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.