Just Bought an S3, Should I Return it for iPhone 5?

hart140

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I watched a live blog of the iPhone reveal Wednesday and I have to say my initial reaction was disappointment. I was expecting all the leaks to be fictional and the new iPhone to be totally revolutionary and different than expected. Instead all the leaks were 100% confirmed.
Before the reveal I had decided to myself that if the iPhone did not look satisfying to me then I would be going with the S3. I was currently using an iPhone 3GS. Well I've had my S3 for 2 days now and I find myself contemplating if I should return it and preorder the iPhone 5 instead. I really loved my 3GS and like iOS but I was really looking for a bigger screen. The iPhone 5 screen just looked like too little too late to me.
My S3 has a good camera and a nice screen but to be honest I expected the screen to be brighter and have a little better color than it does. And the camera is not as great as I expected either. It seems that if there even the slightest bit of motion when I snap a picture the picture ends up looking blurry. I find that the app store and trying to download music is much more cumbersome than it is with iTunes and Apples app store. I think some of the widgets are cool and I like the customizability of the different screens and the ability to have as many screens as you want and with as many or little apps as you want on each one.
I just want someone else's UNBIASED opinion on the matter of the S3 vs the iPhone 5. I know no one has really been able to handle the iPhone yet but what are your thoughts?

huntx23

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
As someone who has used a Droid X and iPhone 4 I can tell you this is the worst of times to be looking to upgrade... there is no phone that is simply a "I must have it". In my opinion if you are fine with the S3, keep it. The hassle you will have to go through to get your new iPhone will be not worth the reward which is a slightly better camera and OS, yet on a much much smaller screen.

huntx23

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
And just so people and you dont think im a android fan boy, i will be most likely picking up an iPhone 5 within the next few weeks depending on reviews once the phone is public

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I had been deciding between the S3 and iphone 5 and pre-ordered the iphone 5 in the end. I went for the iphone as I use my phone for work and my last Android phone kept freezing a lot. Might not have that problem with the S3 I know but I need a phone that's reliable. Also I have quite girly small hands and S3 didn't feel as comfortable as iphone

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Why would you downgrade? Smaller screen, no NFC, no HDMI out, no Sim card, no microUSB,..... If you are heavily imbeded in the Apple system maybe...but if not, I'd say stick with the Samsung.

evti

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I just switched to the Galaxy S3. I like how I am not limited anymore, and can fully customize my phone. Although Android is harder to get used to, it's much more rewarding in the end, imo. Not to mention the fact that Apple is becoming one of those companies where money is clouding their judgement. I mean, a proprietary power plug? A $30 adapter to use it with other things? To me a lot of it has to do with principle. I think Apple is slowly starting to fizzle out, and that they've plateaued. The iPhone 5 isn't much of a step up. So I don't know if I am considered biased :p

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I just got an SGS3 too...moving from a iPhone 4s. I considered a iPhone 5 too. Android takes a little more work up front, to get it customized and useful, but I think it'll pay off. Though the iPhone 5 is a beautiful piece I think the SGS3 is quite nice too...powerful and so customizable with an awesome screen. If you think you can grow to really like android...keep the SGS3.

hart140

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Just so everyone who posted has an update, I did decide to keep the S3. You were right, evti and halcyon, android devices do take a little longer to get used to than the iPhone but now that I am more familiar with the phone I really like it. There are a lot of different features that I like about android and there seems to be much much more customization to the S3 than I even know what to do with at the moment. One of my friends just asked me if I liked the S3 because he too was disappointed with the iPhone 5. I told him what I really liked about it over the iPhone but I told him I still liked some of the iPhone features too. Even though the iPhone 5 sold 5 million units in the first 3 days, I do agree that I think apple is on a downhill slide. Android devices have seemed to evolve by leaps and bounds in the past couple years but apple hasn't seemed to make nearly as much progress with the iPhone. I know they will always have customers who buy just because they are apple, and good for them to have a loyal customer base, but I am just trying to have the best device for me and it seems like android and samsung are moving in the direction I want to go.
Thanks everyone for the responses!