Just recently bought my first Plasma TV.

Wega

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Just recently bought my first Plasma as the thread title states :).

Now I have close to zero experience with plasma tv's but I'm not dumb or anything.

I'm having trouble setting up my channels.

I have selected DVB-T & DVB-C for my signals, it finds like 60 channels on DVB-T and none on DVB-C.

Now I'm imagining that DVB-T is antenna while DVB-C is cable. We have cable. (I might be wrong.. or so it seems.)

Also I have only like 10 channels on DVB-T the rest are encrypted, What I don't get is why are they encrypted?

Do I have to change something? These are channels that I'm already paying for so I dunno why they won't show up on my TV.

It's a Panasonic Viera TX-p42g20e Plasma TV.

Also, is there anything special I should know about Plasma tv's?

You have to use the cable company box and leave your TV on channel 3 all the time. Otherwise you cannot decode the encrypted channels. If you do not use a cable box, you will only get 60 channels. You are locked out by the cable company.

Wega

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I haven't been using any Boxes up until now and have been getting all the channels just fine. Also, it is finding 60 channels, but the 53 of them are pay-tv, which I am paying for. On my other tv's I just plug the cable in and i get all the channels.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Google confirmed your hypotheses DVB-T is Antenna aka Terrestrial and DVB-C is cable.
What are your other TVs are they Analog or digital tuners.
It is also possible something might be wrong with the TV. Can your still return it or swap it out with another one?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah I don't know then, I just wanted to make sure the other tvs weren't anolog.
Yeah I think you might have a bad tv then, being plasma doesn't matter, it is the tuner that is bad, most likely.
If you have a antenna handy plug that in and try it out.

Other then that, I am out of ideas :(