JVC Blu-ray Recorder Has Old-School VHS Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

y would you waste a bd disk on crappy 400 line vhs material?

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
If the Blu-ray home burner allows for playing/recording HD files from a pc, i will think this would be added to my wish list. On my cable there is alot of HD shows and movies that this double as a tivo for.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Why on earth would you put a VHS on Blu-Ray? A DVD I could understand as the difference in resolution isn't that huge, but going from VHS to Blu-Ray is a total waste

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
This is actually good stuff. There are tons of people with shelves of vhs tapes in their basements. If I can convert all of them to just 3 or 4 blurays that'd be amazing.

Very useful for the old stock footages *wink* you really want to keep. Your grandson would be grateful.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Why on earth would you put a VHS on Blu-Ray? A DVD I could understand as the difference in resolution isn't that huge, but going from VHS to Blu-Ray is a total waste[/citation]
Umm i think you need to rethink what you just said. VHS and regular dvd produce nearly the same 480 resolution. so in truth you hardly notice a difference of quality on a tv. jumping from these formats to blu-ray is bigger jump than vhs to dvd!

The major difference between the two is that vhs is analog and the others are digital.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Umm i think you need to rethink what you just said. VHS and regular dvd produce nearly the same 480 resolution. so in truth you hardly notice a difference of quality on a tv. jumping from these formats to blu-ray is bigger jump than vhs to dvd!The major difference between the two is that vhs is analog and the others are digital.[/citation]
The one and only advantage that Blu-Ray offers in this case is increased storage capacity so you can store more VHS titles on a single disc. Otherwise VHS video will not look any different on Blu-Ray than it would on DVD.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
VHS is easy and cheap to record to. I don't use TiVo or have any kind of DVD/Bluray recorder....who really does? The truth is if you want to record something fast VHS is the best option.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]VHS is easy and cheap to record to. I don't use TiVo or have any kind of DVD/Bluray recorder....who really does? The truth is if you want to record something fast VHS is the best option.[/citation]
I used to have a Magnovox set top DVD recorder that supported both single layer DVD+RW and -RW discs. It was just as easy to record to DVD as it was to VHS. DVD chapters and titles work a lot better than the indexing feature on VCR's. I can hit a button an instantly go from one movie to another. On VHS I have to wait for the VCR to fast forward or rewind to go from one movie to another.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
How on earth is vhs the quickest and easiest to record to?

For a start you have to find a tape and find the correct position on the tape to record - that alone can take 5 or ten minutes.

I press tv-guide select the program, press ok then go and make a cup of tea. I remember the days of taping series on tv (red dwarf) the frustration of sitting, finger poised on the the record button and the frustration when you realise you missed the first 3 seconds of the intro because the tape was pretensioning on the heads.

No thanks, HDD freeview recorder from now until the day we can save video direct to brain.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
For the US, I would do almost anything just to have a stand-alone Blu-ray recorder. I do still have VHS that I would like to archive to BR, however, I am willing to bet that the VHS deck I have is significantly better than the deck in this unit. If it were for sale outside of Japan, this unit would not interest me.

I just want a stand-alone BR recorder with an HDMI input in the US.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]For the US, I would do almost anything just to have a stand-alone Blu-ray recorder. I do still have VHS that I would like to archive to BR, however, I am willing to bet that the VHS deck I have is significantly better than the deck in this unit. If it were for sale outside of Japan, this unit would not interest me.I just want a stand-alone BR recorder with an HDMI input in the US.[/citation]
Unless you have S-VHS tapes then all 4 head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR's are the same in terms of picture and sound quality. Any higher end VCR (such as a 6 head) would be a complete waste of money for regular VHS tapes.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Unless you have S-VHS tapes then all 4 head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR's are the same in terms of picture and sound quality. Any higher end VCR (such as a 6 head) would be a complete waste of money for regular VHS tapes.[/citation]
Thanks for thinking of me. ;) Yes, I have S-VHS tapes.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
One big problem with people who have VHS tapes stored in their basement or any other old VHS tapes. THEY HAVE A FINITE Life span! After so many years, the magnetic properties and the signal on the tape breaks down. The break down is not just with the signal, but also the coating or material used to retain the signal. Once you place some of these old tapes into your Blu-ray/VHS copier, it will DESTROY the VHS recorder making it a paper weight. So it is a waste and forget the whole debate about which is better. Its just a silly idea to combine anything with VHS anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.