Kayak Threatens MSFT's Bing With Legal Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
A number of the ticket buy sites have similar pages ... so what? If your getting better prices, you'll follow the money not the name at the top.

Kayak needs to beat the bat snot of of Bing in the Marketplace instead of trying to use the courtrooms.

G

Well now you do. I've been using Kayak for years - really good site to find air/hotel deals. Every product Microsoft is coming out with lately is copy of some other product out there.. that's fine.. but what happened to coming up with your own breakthrough idea once in a while. It needed Google to kick it's butt before it created Live/Bing. iPod -> Zune. PS -> XBOX. Pretty much every product Google created - MS has a copy of it. Google came out with PowerMeter.. MS follows with Hohm. PS: I love Windows 7.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
free advertising, you can argue that any online computer store with a search and a listing function by categories like CPU or GPU is considering infringing on newegg's design or something. The internet is big, and copying the right methods always happen.

G

Oh no! Microsoft made a page with frames and results listings. Only Kayak has done that before! /sarcasm

There are more than a million sites that use that exact same layout, but because M$ did it, and the service is similar to another site, they must be sued! Take a look at search results pages for any of the major search engines. They all look literally identical--results listings on the left, sponsored sites on the right.

Quoted from the government copyright website: "Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation..."

Kayak is just trying to gain publicity for their site; they have no case.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Did someone patent the Top-side Search bar, Left-side Options Menu, and Right-side Results Screen? If so... millions of sites will owe money! I can see similarities, but really, Microsoft is just using what works... and so is apparently Kayak.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I love it when people say Company X only copied someone Else's crap. Well duh! ALL companies do this, especially large plodding companies. Why do you think Cisco, Oracle, IBM, GOOGLE, Microsoft, all buy up small companies all the time. For the freaks that keep saying well, Apple is a real innovator ... whatever kool aid drinker. Apple took someone Else's idea and sold/produced it better too. Besides ... first to market rarely wins the race. Plenty of companies had MP3 players to market before Apple ... how did that workout for them???

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]They do look similar, but I never heard of kayak...[/citation]

I'd wager this is why they're even toying the idea of a lawsuit against Microsoft. They win, they get financial compensation and they get their free advertising. They lose, they still get advertising.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Looks a lot like travelocity or expedia, which look preety similar to eachother too. For that matter it looks a lot like the sonystyle online store.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well now you do. I've been using Kayak for years - really good site to find air/hotel deals. Every product Microsoft is coming out with lately is copy of some other product out there.. that's fine.. but what happened to coming up with your own breakthrough idea once in a while. It needed Google to kick it's butt before it created Live/Bing. iPod -> Zune. PS -> XBOX. Pretty much every product Google created - MS has a copy of it. Google came out with PowerMeter.. MS follows with Hohm. PS: I love Windows 7.

MS had a search engine before google.

MS had office suites before google.

MS had a mobile OS before google.

MS had a picture album before google.

MS has had a lot of things before google.

I think the real question is why is Google stealing ideas from Microsoft?

As far as the looks between the two and frankly if you took pretty much any travel site and you will see quite a bit of similarity between all of them.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]aft_lizard01[/nom]MS had a search engine before google.MS had office suites before google.MS had a mobile OS before google.MS had a picture album before google.MS has had a lot of things before google. I think the real question is why is Google stealing ideas from Microsoft?As far as the looks between the two and frankly if you took pretty much any travel site and you will see quite a bit of similarity between all of them.[/citation]

Good question fan-of-ms, since ms have everything first. Than my question to you is, why ms release zune after the ipod?

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]Good question fan-of-ms, since ms have everything first. Than my question to you is, why ms release zune after the ipod?[/citation]

That is not the point of my listing, oh one who lacks basic comprehension.

He says MS steals everything from Google. I listed things that MS has done before Google.

I did not say MS is this mass originator of everything. I did not make some sort of case that MS is the originator of any of those things listed. I was showing the fallacy of his argument.

Now go back to English class, please.

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Seriously! And just for the record:

You're and your have different meanings.

They're, there and their have different meanings too.

Status
Not open for further replies.