Solved! Keep getting random videos playing in the background and sometimes get google searches redirected to trovi

pati_yeet

Estimable
Dec 12, 2018
Have been having this problem since today. So on my PC, I keep getting random Youtube videos (some that I'm interested in/have watched before plus some that I don't want to see at all) that play in the background. I have no Youtube tabs open when this happens, however I see what video is played via the volume pop up that windows 10 has. The videos play for a few seconds, then either go to another video or stop. A couple videos are played in a row then theres a bit of a break, then about 5 to 10 minutes later another few videos play. It gets on my nerves as it records in my Youtube watch history which I then have to keep removing. The sound from the videos also annoy me.

In addition to this, I also sometimes get redirected to trovi when searching something on google. I have checked extensions and applications, however I couldn't find anything about trovi or related in these areas. I have also tried a couple scans with Malwarebytes however the issue still persists. The only things I have downloaded in the past week was Dolphin emulator (from the official website) and 2 ROMs from a website that a few of my friends have downloaded from in the past and they had no issues with it. I have not downloaded anything today.

With these issues, I've noticed that google chrome runs a bit slower than usual. For example, I have to click the go back button a few times to go back once.

Got no idea what to do, tried the solutions most sites give on how to get rid of trovi but none of them work and the solutions relating to the random YT video plays didn't help either.

Solution
Seems you have a rogue extension/add-on installed in Chrome. Have you verified all are correct?

Have you installed anything else, like a VPN, other than what was previously mentioned?

Sites where ROMs are found are often cesspools for malware. We don't support any form of software piracy. None. Period.

pati_yeet

Estimable
Dec 12, 2018
Does Malwarebytes detect anything? Do you have any apps running in Task Manager that appear out of place?
Malwarebytes did detect some malware and trojan, however after a second scan those have been cleared so nothing new has been detected, even though the issues persist. Looked at task manager just now and nothing seems suspicious in there either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems you have a rogue extension/add-on installed in Chrome. Have you verified all are correct?

Have you installed anything else, like a VPN, other than what was previously mentioned?

Sites where ROMs are found are often cesspools for malware. We don't support any form of software piracy. None. Period.

Solution

pati_yeet

Estimable
Dec 12, 2018

While testing each google extension I have installed, I believe I have found the one that was causing the issues. It was Gainly - Volume control, an extension I was using for the past few weeks to lower the volume from google as it was too loud for me. Now that I'm glad that I've managed to solve the issue with your help, which am very thankful of, I don't know what extension to use now to lower volume output from google chrome.