KEF Q100 + Monoprice Stereo Hybrid Tube Amp

bcmthhd

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
Here is my temporary setup:

PC -> KabelDirekt TOSLINK Cable -> FiiO D3 (D03K) -> KabelDirekt RCA Cable -> Monoprice Stereo Hybrid Tube Amp -> 14AWG Affinity Braided Speaker Cables -> KEF Q100

It's working fine with jazz. But then I tried to play EDM or any kind of music with intense bass, distortion started to appear. I don't know if it's because there are incompatibilities within the system or the amplifier is a bottleneck. Should I upgrade to a better amp and DAC?
I borrowed the Q100 from my friend, thinking about getting one.

Solution
That amp has about 7-8 watts per channel. The Kef speakers are rated for 10 watts minimum so you are limited in the volume range they can play with that amp. It will also limit the deep bass (not a strong point of tubes).
Does the distortion happen when you turn the volume down on the amp? If your friend gets the kind of sound you want from the KEFs with his amp then an amp more like his works better than the monoprice.
A better DAC and amp will certainly improve the sound but it is important to get compatible components so they work together synergistically. Your budget is a big factor in your options.
Start by listening to speakers, There are many in your price range. Don't be afraid to visit a high end shop. They all encourage...
That amp has about 7-8 watts per channel. The Kef speakers are rated for 10 watts minimum so you are limited in the volume range they can play with that amp. It will also limit the deep bass (not a strong point of tubes).
Does the distortion happen when you turn the volume down on the amp? If your friend gets the kind of sound you want from the KEFs with his amp then an amp more like his works better than the monoprice.
A better DAC and amp will certainly improve the sound but it is important to get compatible components so they work together synergistically. Your budget is a big factor in your options.
Start by listening to speakers, There are many in your price range. Don't be afraid to visit a high end shop. They all encourage people to sample quality audio and have affordable products along with the crazy stuff. Once you settle on the speakers that will determine how much power you need and what kind of sound complements them.

Solution

bcmthhd

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015

Thanks for replying!
I thought that the Monoprice has 25 watts. It runs fine on low volume.
I put it on top of my Corsair 250D case and it looks perfect. So, I'm probably looking for something small. I was thinking about Musical Fidelity V90-AMP. But the PS Audio Sprout is also kind of hot right now. Do you think I should get it?

bcmthhd

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015

Oh, I see.
I did consider Cambridge Audio, but my room is too small. I literally have no space left on my desk. I guess I'll go with the AI-501DA then. Thank you for the recommendation!