Keyboard (most keys) failed on Acer Aspire AO756

oldgaloot

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
So I'm using the laptop in my lap and I hear a series of beeps (not sure if a corner of a pillow fell on part of the keyboard or not) and by the time I shifted myself and got it to stop, most of my keyboard will not work. I can get the blue Fn key pressed with some F keys to change settings (for example, the wireless radio, the sleep function, etc). But no other keys work. I plugged in a USB wireless keyboard and mouse and everything but the built-in keyboard seems to work OK (typing this now). I have been running Windows 10 and have had relatively few issues in that upgrade. I have 8 GB RAM.

The laptop was sitting on a hard plastic cooling pad so I don't think it suffered anything in my lap.

I turned on/off a couple of times and no SLH (Spontaneous Laptop Healing). Rats.

Could there be a crumb or some debris wedged under a key that is causing the fuss? The next step is to vacuum/blow it out. But I'm not optimistic about that.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

UPDATE: Vacuumed with small attachments and blew some clean air at the keyboard. No change.

oldgaloot

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
Thanks ffg7. I did not quite do a system restore. I still get a bit confused between the "control panel" which is what I'm used to from way back in Win XP (or earlier) OSs and the "PC Settings" which is new to me from Win 10. I ended up in the latter and reset the Windows to an earlier "build". That worked. I had some big Windows update only a few days ago so maybe I ended up in the same place as System Restore would have taken me. But anyway, everything seems to be good and I'll remember this if I have any other issues. I was expecting a physical failure of the keyboard to be the answer. Thanks again.

oldgaloot

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I've since gone into system restore and learned that it was turned off. So I turned it back on and manually set a restore point. I seem to recall using "system restore" a lot in a long-past version of Windows... maybe it was ME ("more errors").

Again, thanks!