Keyboard not working in chrome (intermittent problem)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeremythepope

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hello, I'm using Chrome Version 25.0.1364.160 m with Windows 7 64bit home premium, on an Acer 5552g laptop and an external USB keyboard.

Several times a day, the keyboard stops typing anything at all in Chrome. It types fine in other apps, and I've actually resorted to typing emails in other apps, then cutting and pasting using the context menu.

The problem is sometimes resolved by reloading the page several times, or by restarting Chrome.

I've tried screaming, it doesn't seem to do much. Neither does throwing my keyboard across the room, or beating on the wall. Any ideas?

The problem happens in several types of text fields. It has a particular fondness for the gmail compose field and the address bar, those may be its natural habitat. The problem seems to be mostly nocturnal, unless awakened by the fact that I -really- need to get something done quickly.

Jeremy

Oh: just thought to try the integrated keyboard as well, same problem.

Bravo315

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I'm having the same problem in my organisation with Samsung Chromebox Series 3. 3 of our many devices are coming up with the problem diagnosed in the original post. The only workaround I've seen right now is switching the USB ports the keyboards are plugged in to.

I'll try disabling hardware acceleration and hitting the "start" eg "search" key twice and let you all know if either works on Chrome OS.

System specs
Version 45.0.2454.98 (64-bit)
Platform 7262.57.0 (Official Build) stable-channel stumpy
Firmware Google_Stumpy.2.102.0

I can confirm this problem only started recently, possibly since the last update?

Southern Belle1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
hi,

i have the same problem for a few weeks now the idm wouldn't be problem since i've had it for years, the so called fix me i have to press and hold the windows key /or start button for a couple of seconds and then i can type again ....THAT'S NOT A FIX!!!

also my copy/paste function has quit working intermittently and that i can't find a fix either and that functions happens in desktop apps as well as internet access

the issue is just that an PROBLEMATIC ISSUE that needs to be fixed ...unfortunately as yal are having similar problem we can't find the actual fix ....i'm still searching and have asked the question on a few forums hopefully a useable/fixable answer will show up if so i will post it back here to help yal too!

good luck!

G

G

read all of these posts and answers. I just started experiencing this problem. After reading and trying everything suggested, I was able to solve the issue on my own. While I cant offer a reason as to why, I solved this by switching my usb adapter back to where it was prior to me moving it.

justrandomguy

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Hello Everyone, I was experiencing this problem too from last one and half month and it feels like throwing your laptop out.

But guess what? I've found SOLUTION today. Its happening because of the IDM's extension installed in your Chrome.

What to do?
1. If you want to quickly get rid of this shit > Remove this extension from chrome.

2. Seems like IDM came up with fixed version, Just download latest IDM or Update it and your problem will be solved.
I

hope this helps you guys.
It was so terrible to use chrome when I started having this problem, I uninstalled it several times too. But today I just got a popup from idm and I noticed something like this "fixed chrome keyboard focus issue" and then I updated it and googled the same thing to solve the same issue of others. :)

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Whats IDM? i'v got the same problem but i dont think i have IDM. i do have both adblock and adblock plus though.

Quintiliani1

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015

I'm having the same problem with an HP Envy laptop, it must just be a Chrome issue.

gbates

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

gbates

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
I have recently had the same problem with intermittent loss of keyboard function. The quickest solution is to open another version of Chrome if possible and both will have keyboard functionality. The works on desktop at least. I hope for a real fix soon.

Frontoe

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
I have had this issue for a while now. i found that once i open chrome i can just open a second tab then drag that tab off to create a second browser window. Then i am able to type in the new browser window.

I have no Extensions running and i even unchecked the hardware acceleration but i am unable to determine the issue of what is causing it.

Mettarefuge

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Mia_4_

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

omg you are so right pressed window key twice & the unworking keys(c.v,h & backspace now work

mrfloris

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

I am on OSX El Capitan with latest nightly build of Chrome, and I have this issue. I only have Ghostery and Privacy Badger installed. But disbaling the plugin doesn't help . I write my emails now in sublime text and paste them into the compose. This started 2 weeks ago, and it's super frustrating.

JCChristian

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Same issue here. I even removed IDM and now I only have:

- LastPass: Free Password Manager 4.1.28
- uBlock Origin 1.9.10

And I still have this issue!

Chrome Version 54.0.2840.59 m (64-bit)

----------

ALL OF YOU GUYS with this issue, please report to Chrome: Menu > Help > Report an issue

Joey_nINJJa

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Ok, so for some reason when I hit Ctrl+A then start typing on Gmail, the space doesn't work. I have to backspace everything, hit space, backspace, then type. I'm having this problem on two devices, both of which I recently installed AdBlock Plus on. I think that's the issue. Oh, and one is Win10, the other is ChromeOS, so not an OS issue.
I'm going to try to fix it without removing AdBlock Plus...

Sachin_47

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
I am having the same issue but one thing has helped me.
I am on windows 7 professional x64 with chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)
I have adblockplus, laspass, but the problem was use to occur before also.
It mainly occurs in gmail new window and some times
-----------
On new mail, if I start to type type, spacebar does work, but works simultaneously in notepad.
So I did some typing hit back arrow (not back space) then used spacebar.
It started to work.

This problem is not reproducible hence cannot talk about corrective action,
plz rectify in chrome or gmail code of new window.

thanks

bill.starr.252

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I was having this problem in Chrome with a keyboard freeze in Google Docs after the first auto-save on my Dell laptop running Windows 10. I have been using the double-press on the Windows key as a workaround for the last few weeks.

But today, the issue seems to be resolved. I have Windows Chrome Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Update Fri, 5 Jan 2018, 6:40 am EST (UTC -0500)
- Broken again today