Keyboard not working in chrome (intermittent problem)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeremythepope

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hello, I'm using Chrome Version 25.0.1364.160 m with Windows 7 64bit home premium, on an Acer 5552g laptop and an external USB keyboard.

Several times a day, the keyboard stops typing anything at all in Chrome. It types fine in other apps, and I've actually resorted to typing emails in other apps, then cutting and pasting using the context menu.

The problem is sometimes resolved by reloading the page several times, or by restarting Chrome.

I've tried screaming, it doesn't seem to do much. Neither does throwing my keyboard across the room, or beating on the wall. Any ideas?

The problem happens in several types of text fields. It has a particular fondness for the gmail compose field and the address bar, those may be its natural habitat. The problem seems to be mostly nocturnal, unless awakened by the fact that I -really- need to get something done quickly.

Jeremy

Oh: just thought to try the integrated keyboard as well, same problem.

Feb 19, 2018

This actually works thanks for the help : 0

Mar 22, 2018

Mar 22, 2018
I had a similar problem with my touch-pad and pointer not working. please check in your browsers and delete apps i found one that was corrupted. My touch-pad and pointer are now working perfect

bugmenotplz

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 13, 2014
Had a similiar issue to the described one. Also an acer laptop and opera with the chromium engine and firefox were affected. Typing in notepad or cmd would have worked but not properly in the mentioned browser. Rebooting helped.

Dec 22, 2018
Hi All,

I was also facing the same issue,

what Solution I found is, in laptops keyboard we dont have scroll lock key. To unable or disable it.

Just try this below steps:
1) Start
2) Settings
3) EASE OF ACCESS
4) Keyboard
5) Turn on, ON-Screen keyboard.
6) Press on ScrlLock and try typing in chrome now.

Let me know whether this helps.

Feb 3, 2019
Hi I'm also having same problem. But My problem in my mobile. Sometimes I'm not able to type anything in my chrome mobile browser. I'm using Redmi 3s Prime with latest chrome version. This issue is occurring only sometime. Because of this issue I'm not able to type anything in my blogs.

[blog link removed]