Keyboard not working is there a way to turn it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Navigate to Device Manager, find keyboard, expand, right click on the keyboard & see if there is an option to enable.

How you get to device manager depends on OS. Windows 8 I have little experience with, and without typing for it (which clearly you can't do, I don't know).

W7 it's Control Panel > System & Security > Device Manager

holymaggerals

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

Hi Jewlst and anyone else having this problem.

I have a Nextbook (E-Funbook) Model NXW10QC32G, loaded with Windows 8 that I bought at Walmart. I've since upgraded to Windows 10 and hadn't had any major problems.

The letter and number keys on my Nextbook detachable keyboard stopped working. The mouse pad and some of the functions were still operating. That is, I was able to move the cursor around with the mouse-pad and I was able to adjust the brightness of the screen by using "Fn+F4" and "Fn +F5". I had to log-in using the touch-keyboard on the tablet screen.

I tried some of the solutions that I found on-line and on "You-Tube". Here's what I did:

1. I tried disconnecting then reconnecting the screen from the keyboard (this worked in the past), but, did not fix the problem.

2. I tried changing the "Filter Keys" toggle to "off" by going to: "Settings", "Change PC Settings", "Ease of Access", "Keyboard" then "Filter Keys". This did not fix the problem.

3. I tried updating the drivers by right-clicking the "Windows" icon in the lower right corner of the toolbar then selecting "Device Manager" going to "Keyboards" and opening, then right-clicking on "HIC Keyboard Device". I then selected "Browse my computer for driver software" and then selected, "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". At the next screen, I selected the "HIC keyboard Device" option in the boxed fields and then chose Next.

At this point the driver updated, as far as I can tell. This did not fix the problem.

4. Finally, (this worked) I was able to "refresh the notebook", without losing my personal files or most of my apps by following the instructions below that I found in the Nextbook User Manual that I found online ("NXW101QC232-User-Manual". Title didn't match my model number but the procedure was the same).

Resetting your tablet will return the system to original factory settings.
1. Swipe-in from the right edge of the display to access Charms.
2. Touch Settings→ Change PC settings→ Update and recovery→ Recovery.
3. Touch Get started under Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
4. Read the warning and touch Next after you read the warning.

After this, the keyboard became fully functional.

I hope that my experience as I've posted helps to save other users some time.

Thanks for Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.