Question Keyboard on Asus laptop is glitchy but only sometimes.

Sep 2, 2019
I have an Asus X553M laptop with Windows 10. Since the day I got it, I have experienced an annoying issue whereby the keyboard 'slows down' and can't keep up with my typing, often missing a bunch of letters along the way and forcing me to constantly backtrack to fix everything. However, there are times, usually in temporary bursts, where the keyboard works as it should and responds at lightning speed. Recently, I started experiencing an extremely aggravating issues where the 'c' key, as well as a few other specific ones like the '/' as well as numbers '1' and '3' (only those in the number pad) become very unresponsive and only appear if I leave the key pressed for a long time (if it appears, which sometimes it doesn't). And then, out of absolutely nowhere, it will simply start working perfectly normally again. It's driving me insane.

I've tried everything so far to resolve this and absolutely nothing has worked. It's slowing me down so much that it's barely usable for me because my work is entirely computer based. At this stage, I have no idea what else to try and fear I'll need to buy an entire new laptop, even though everything else works perfectly... Since there are certain spurts, sometimes as long at 20-30 minutes, where the keyboard works perfectly, I strongly suspect that some program or process that's running in the background is causing this. The problem is, the issue arises even after reinstalling Windows from scratch (multiple times), so if it is a process, it would have to be one that came with the OS. I don't know how to see if this is indeed the case or how to troubleshoot it. A number of processes can't be manually ended via the Task Manager.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1) Went into the keyboard settings, adjusted the typing speed, deactivated sticky keys and filters keys;

2) Uninstalled the keyboard driver then rebooted the computer to allow windows to reinstall it;

3) Reinstalled all of Windows 10 from scratch several times;

4) Installed a brand new HD;

5) Made sure that there were no obstructions around the physical keys. This clearly is not the issue though because during the times when the keyboard isn't glitching, all keys respond perfectly to a very light touch.

6) Ran all troubleshooters;

7) Called Asus and they were no help, basically said I'd have to ship it to them for a high fee and that they'd take a look but they said they had no idea what might cause this.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Laptop General Discussion 4
7 Laptop General Discussion 3
S Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 2
L Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 4
M Laptop General Discussion 2