keystroke encryption in AV software

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
why don't AV suites include keystroke encryption, something like keyscrambler?
Is it ineffective, or does it have a negative impact on the system?

I have kaspersky total security 2016 installed on a windows 10 x64 machine.
I also have keyscrambler free version installed. should I uninstall it?

and what about malwarebytes anti-exploit? is it overkill, if I already have kaspersky?

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Malwarebytes anti-exploit is a lot more effective than Kaspersky anti-exploit. That is why Kaspersky don't really brag about theirs. There is a current conflict when running both Malwarebytes anti-exploit and Kaspersky 2016 (not 2015 and previous) that prevent you from opening browsers. Malwarebytes is working on a solution, their beta version already work with Kaspersky 2016.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/172363-mbae-108-beta-preview/

I'm currently using Kaspersky 2015 since I believe the protection Malwarebytes anti-exploit outweigh the the few extra privacy options Kaspersky 2016 provide. Another temporary alternative is with Malwarebytes anti-exploit premium version you can disable browsers protection only still protection all other programs to get the 2 programs to work.

For keystroke encryption I use Hitmanpro alert. When the anti-virus fail to find the spyware then at least you have a 2nd line of defense of scrambling your password and credit info and stuff from being stolen. I don't know why Kaspersky and other major anti-virus companies doesn't add keystroke encryption to their long list of features.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keystroke-encryption/

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
thanks
I have found that the beta version of MBAE works with kaspersky 2016, as far as chrome goes.
I don't use other browsers much, so I couldn't say, but I think the problem never affected edge in the first place.

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
as an aside, I have sometimes noticed high cpu usage in chrome after installing KTS 2016. today it went pretty high and I tracked it down to the chrome kaspersky extension. I didn't like that very much.

so I went back to panda. It does a good job at malware detection, it's pretty light, and it doesn't get into conflicts with other software.
and it works very nicely with windows 10.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Oh yeah Kaspersky has a virtual keyboard thing that I forgot and don't use because of how inconvenient it is to open it up and click each button where its more convenient to just practice safety online.