Kid Steals Credit Card, Blows $1,400 on FarmVille

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

if she did 'down, forward, punch' she would perform a 'haduken' on her son which should be sufficient in knocking some sense into the child.

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
At least she blames it primarily on her child, not many parents these days take that responsibility. Of course her saying there should be more security is not the best conclusion, why not just leave the credit card out of reach? Simple and 100% effective, If he was my kid he would be getting a job and lose his whole summer getting my money back, teach him how much a dollar is worth.

bujuki

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
For most kids gaming is highly tempting, just like sex to male. :p
I agree to PieceMaker42's suggestion on punishment. Furthermore, parents should keep trying to find what their kids are interested in outside game (like sport or art) and try to make them comfortable and happy with that. Even after they're grown-up and live by games they still needs activities outside it.

If a child can waste $1400 on FarmVille, then how much would Hitler waste on it?? (Hitler Reacts To Nvidia Fermi, Youtube: watch?v=VpZXhR1ibj8) :p:p

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]luke7777777[/nom]if she did 'down, forward, punch' she would perform a 'haduken' on her son which should be sufficient in knocking some sense into the child.[/citation]

I am almost always glad I read the comments section. I also love, 'I place the blame on my Kid'. That is excellent right there. Security has gone out the window, kids can break Windows passwords in mins using free passwork breaking utilizes in windows, loggin on in single user mode in linux, and Mac users don't user passwords (kidding). I've never played farmville but ifs anything like Xbox live then once u put your credit card in you are at the mercy of the kid playing it. I wasn't even aware that xbox live asks for no validation number once your CC is in there it will charge anything. If I knew I would have just went to walmart and bought those little point card things.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]PieceMaker42[/nom]At least she blames it primarily on her child, not many parents these days take that responsibility. Of course her saying there should be more security is not the best conclusion, why not just leave the credit card out of reach? Simple and 100% effective, If he was my kid he would be getting a job and lose his whole summer getting my money back, teach him how much a dollar is worth.[/citation]

She probably didn't think the kid would do this and just kept it in her purse like 99% of other parents. I'm sure she will hide it from now on, but the damage is done.

I think the FarmVille people should have refunded the money and disabled the game for their accounts. It's just greedy not to and shows what that company is about.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]PieceMaker42[/nom]At least she blames it primarily on her child, not many parents these days take that responsibility. Of course her saying there should be more security is not the best conclusion, why not just leave the credit card out of reach? Simple and 100% effective, If he was my kid he would be getting a job and lose his whole summer getting my money back, teach him how much a dollar is worth.[/citation]
y not scrap the credit card, and use money she actually has?
and yeah, the kid is stupid. even by 12, i think everyone knows that $200 is a lot of money, and that is you spend it 10 times, it costs $2000, not $200

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
She should be more worried that her son is probably gay. Spending $1400 on MW2 or some other kill-them-all games is quite reasonable for 12yrs old boy, but spending that money on watering flowers and feeding cute animals... well..

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Kudos to the Mom on blaming the kid, but she should take some blame as well for not monitoring his time on the computer. The company is correct in that she needs to place limits (passwords or time limits) on the child's account.

I guess Farmville will become the next WoW? I can't wait until South Park comes up with something like that (although they've already done the Facebook thing - "You Have Zero Friends")

Status
Not open for further replies.