Kindle Fire Prevents Android Market Visits, Re-Rooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It is actually good that this update improves the customer experience...
...because we all know that they can not REALLY prevent future rooting, if someone really wants it. It's just a challenge, to be defeated within a week. This way, one can have the latest updates AND root afterwards.

G

No one is "FORCED" to root their device... they CHOOSE to... If you don't want to work within the confines of the Amazon Appstore, the Kindle Fire is not for you!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is why I don't have a smart phone or tablet. Companies don't want you to have intimate access to the hardware and software. They want it to be a nice play thing but not a fully functional computer. I'll buy a tablet (maybe) when they get off the drugs and let people have root access all they want to the stuff they bought.
Why do they try to prevent root access anyway? It's unrelated to piracy.
I imagine it's because they like to have a hold on the software that their tablet will run and the profit from app stores?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]This is why I don't have a smart phone or tablet. Companies don't want you to have intimate access to the hardware and software. They want it to be a nice play thing but not a fully functional computer. I'll buy a tablet (maybe) when they get off the drugs and let people have root access all they want to the stuff they bought.Why do they try to prevent root access anyway? It's unrelated to piracy.I imagine it's because they like to have a hold on the software that their tablet will run and the profit from app stores?[/citation]

because it is the first step for piracy?
in fires case, because they sell it at a loss and expect to recupe the cost through the app store and the books.

G

Because they want to control what you can do, and force their bloatware on you. If they cared about user experience - kindle fire would be running 4.0 (or at least 3.2)... we'll see if that will ever happen. Can't wait until custom 4.0 is out so I can root my phone and tablet.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]anonemouse[/nom]No one is "FORCED" to root their device... they CHOOSE to... If you don't want to work within the confines of the Amazon Appstore, the Kindle Fire is not for you![/citation]

Hardware I purchased is my property, and I'm allowed to do whatever I want with it within the confines of the law. If Amazon wants to tell me how to operate my device that I purchased, the Kindle Fire is not for me.

[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Why do they try to prevent root access anyway? It's unrelated to piracy.I imagine it's because they like to have a hold on the software that their tablet will run and the profit from app stores?[/citation]

Amazon runs their own app store, and they want to force customers to use their app store instead of Google's. What's worse is that when they announced the Fire, they had an attitude that they would be okay with rooting. Guess the policy changes once customers actually buy them.

Amazon's just another big corp managed by people with no clue how to actually deal with customers. The Fire will be rooted regardless, trying to block it only challenges people to crack it faster, and the customers will give Amazon's app store less business thanks to the attempt.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm guessing that when someone purchases a kindle fire somewhere along the line they agree to a user's license, the terms of which are violated by rooting the device. I don't care if people root there devices or not, but I cringe at how routinely people agree to something that they know up front is a lie on their part. I'm sure some people will respond with the following:

Liar: I bought the device so it's my right to root it.

Me: Does your neighbor have the right to open a garbage dump in his front lawn and ruin your property value. It is his property.

Liar: Hey, my rooting the device doesn't hurt anyone else.

Me: Yes it does. It helps destroy the business model that makes the initial cost of ownership lower for everyone else.

Liar: Well I'm just one person, I'm not going to bring the business model to it's knees!

Me: Oh, sorry, Mr. Liar. I forgot that just because it's you doing it and not everyone else, then the normal rules don't apply. Do you also think it is okay to steal from a charity because if it is only you doing it, then the amount of money will be so slight as to not be noticeable?

Self Centered Liar: Well that is different. Stealing from charities is taking something that is not yours to begin with. The kindle is mine, I bought it.

Me: Yes, but your defense to weakening the business model was based on the fact that not everyone does it, just a few people. I'm just pointing out that this argument cannot be used to absolve you of moral bankruptcy.

Liar: Get off your high-horse you piece of crap.

Me: QED

G

I understand Amazon's side partially. They do sell it at a loss with the expectation being they'll recoup the costs in sales via their store.

They did however say they were ok with rooting previously :eek: But I don't understand the mentality of...you bought it, we own and control it. I just can't agree with that philosophy. Something fundamentally wrong about telling people you own what they bought.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Funny isn't it how everyone was all about the Kindle Fire and how Amazon wasn't another Apple so they would let you do as you please with your device. Oh how simpleminded some of you are... It's all about the $$$$$ and you're damn skippy they will make it as difficult as possible for you to circumvent their store. At least Apple is up front about it.

ko2n777

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]This is why I don't have a smart phone or tablet. Companies don't want you to have intimate access to the hardware and software. They want it to be a nice play thing but not a fully functional computer. I'll buy a tablet (maybe) when they get off the drugs and let people have root access all they want to the stuff they bought.Why do they try to prevent root access anyway? It's unrelated to piracy.I imagine it's because they like to have a hold on the software that their tablet will run and the profit from app stores?[/citation]

The whole thing with the Kindle Fire was that Amazon is taking a hit on the tablets and loosing money on every one they sell, but with that they plan on making up the loss with their own App Store. That was their logic, sounded pretty legit to me.

G

Misleading title is misleading. As you said, when a firmware released, it usually breaks root. That is true but just because you can't use your favorite rooting tool "SUPERoneClick" (Not SIMPLEOneClick), which is a tool that basically tries the most common rooting methods, doesn't mean Amazon is preventing users from rooting. It just means that software doesn't work and needs updating.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]anonemouse[/nom]No one is "FORCED" to root their device... they CHOOSE to... If you don't want to work within the confines of the Amazon Appstore, the Kindle Fire is not for you![/citation]

You are right that's why I don't have one. F'em

G

As far as I know you can still "side-load" non Amazon appz onto your kindle fire for example Spotify. For me that would be the deal breaker if I couldn't. I just read that a recent update to the BN nook kills the root AND the side-loading capabilities..That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon did it in a future update. For now I still will keep my Fire that is being sent to me as I type this..

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Funny isn't it how everyone was all about the Kindle Fire and how Amazon wasn't another Apple so they would let you do as you please with your device. Oh how simpleminded some of you are... It's all about the $$$$$ and you're damn skippy they will make it as difficult as possible for you to circumvent their store. At least Apple is up front about it.[/citation]
This thread is not about Apple; you're in the wrong place. Trying to troll a bit? Besides, people like you could never understand why we are not pleased with Amazon's (or B&N's) approach. They went back on their word, pretty much, and that's what is not acceptable. Just like SONY did with the firmware update for their PS3.
In this case, though, I believe the damage is not too great, as there will be some other solutions besides SuperOneClick, or this one WILL be updated to include the latest firmware. Some "simpleminded" devs out there are making sure of that. Being so sophisticated, I am pretty sure you can grasp that, can't you?

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

You're absolutely correct. The Amazon Fire is not for me. Now I have to look for a decent priced tablet. I have a problem parting with $200 and told how I can use my device.

Status
Not open for further replies.