Kindle May Have Stolen 2 Million Sales From iPad Over Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I wonder how many nook devices sold. According to reports they're up 70% from last year but I can't find any 'real' numbers. As for my own experience, significantly more people around me went with the Nook rather than the Kindle.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I love my Nook Color/Tablet (rooted color). It's the right size, the right weight and the right price. To bad it only overclocks to 1100mhz stable.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
The latest word on the Nook is that the financially strapped Barnes and Noble is looking at trying to unload the entire Nook business. Despite reports that Nooks sales increased by 70% it has still been a cash drain on the company. Apparently B&N wants to refocus on their brick and mortar stores and is looking to unload the digital side of their business.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Another indication of just how technologically clueless the masses are. Imagine buying a proprietary
tablet from a store restricting your access to other stores, and only running a hacked Android distribution. I will say though that given its price and hardware, it is a much smarter purchase than one of those locked-down drm infested iPad coffins.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]The latest word on the Nook is that the financially strapped Barnes and Noble is looking at trying to unload the entire Nook business. Despite reports that Nooks sales increased by 70% it has still been a cash drain on the company. Apparently B&N wants to refocus on their brick and mortar stores and is looking to unload the digital side of their business.[/citation]

More likely B&N is looking to sale some stuff and give its shareholders a stock swap in the process, so that they shareholders don't lose everything when B&N files for bankruptcy....

That said, i don't think the Nook would be worth much, if anything without the B&N name and stores behind it. People buy the Nook because they like the stores. Take away the store and the Nook is about as appealing as Motorola tablet.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]The latest word on the Nook is that the financially strapped Barnes and Noble is looking at trying to unload the entire Nook business. Despite reports that Nooks sales increased by 70% it has still been a cash drain on the company. Apparently B&N wants to refocus on their brick and mortar stores and is looking to unload the digital side of their business.[/citation]

That sounds a bit short sighted. You've got to diversify as consumers can be a difficult bunch with changing interests. But American businesses where never good at long term planning. They always look to the next quarterly report.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
that would be the end of them.

rht555

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
How much of a win is it when you have to sell something at a loss to compete? I'm not buying stock in Amazon.

G

I'm skeptical that they took sales from the ipad. The kindle sold at a price point that tempted people into buying a tablet that probably wouldn't have laid down the cash for an ipad. The ipad is a premium product compared to the kindle. Personally I just bought a 4.65 inch phone and called it good, why have two devices instead of one?

G

Afsasf

And what can the ipad do that the fire cant, premium it maybe but you got to be a special kind of daft to spend an extra 200 odd for a similar functioning device

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
[citation][nom]afsasf[/nom]I'm skeptical that they took sales from the ipad. The kindle sold at a price point that tempted people into buying a tablet that probably wouldn't have laid down the cash for an ipad. The ipad is a premium product compared to the kindle. Personally I just bought a 4.65 inch phone and called it good, why have two devices instead of one?[/citation]

Ahh, but you need to look at the bigger picture here. Sure they sell all models of the Kindle at a loss. I think it's brilliant on their part! I gave my wife a Kindle Touch for christmas and she has already purchased ten books from Amazon. Digital content costs them MUCH less than dealing with paper. Their making money hand over fist with this!

G

Best Buy as bens full of Fires that were returned on Dec 26th...

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

That will be sad if B&N actually heads to that direction. Haven't they learned from the fall of Borders and the rise of Amazon?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]modmandan[/nom]Ahh, but you need to look at the bigger picture here. Sure they sell all models of the Kindle at a loss. I think it's brilliant on their part! I gave my wife a Kindle Touch for christmas and she has already purchased ten books from Amazon. Digital content costs them MUCH less than dealing with paper. Their making money hand over fist with this![/citation]

I agree with you. Amazon is not serious of getting money out from their Kindles. Kindles are just a plateform for them to sell their books, Apps, and digital contents (videos, musics.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.