Kindle Rooting Help 2

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I posted a thread asking for help on the wrong forum, it seems, so I was told to repost here. Original post:

I've got a Kindle Fire here that I'm trying to root, and I've looked around online for ways to do that. I've found plenty of guides, but either they simply don't work or they appear to be referring to a device different than the one I'm using.

It's rather perplexing, as they say they are guides on how to root a kindle fire, but the directions don't match up with my device. I was hoping someone would be able to walk me through rooting my device. The problem is that my device seems to be highly unusual or uncommon. I'm not sure how better to describe it.

One guide said to go into the settings and tap the serial number 6 or so times as one of the steps, but that doesn't work for my device. Another guide refers to a desktop, but my device doesn't have a desktop that I can access.

I'm really not sure what kind of tablet I have here, but I've never seen anything like it. I'm good with laptops, but not mobile devices. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

I hit the Apps button, but I'm not seeing what you're describing. I see:
Cloud | Device, By Recent, By Title, and Store>
Then a list of the apps I have installed on my device, appearing as icons on a series of dark grey wooden shelves. At the bottom of the screen, the usual home button, back button, and search icon. There is a settings icon always in the top right, but there is no 'About' in those settings.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

I must admit I'm having a hard time making sense of your first sentence, but yes, my apps are sorted alphabetically.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Ohh, I see what you mean. I actually looked through my apps, and there is no app called 'Settings' in the list. The only 'settings' I can find are accessed via the menu bar across the top of the screen. On the left, it says 'Selyra's Kindle', followed by a counter showing new notifications. In the center, the time is displayed, and on the right it shows a gear(settings), wifi signal strength, and battery life.

The categories in 'Settings' are: 'Unlocked(locks/unlocks screen rotation), Volume, Brightness, Wi-Fi, Sync, and More'.

The categories in 'More' are: 'Help & Feedback, My Account, Parental Controls, Sounds, Display, Security, Applications, Date & Time, Wireless Network, Kindle Keyboard, Device, Legal Notes, and Terms of Use'.

If 'Device' is the information you require, it is as follows:
Application Storage (318.57 MB of 1.17 GB available)
Internal Storage (4.15 GB of 5.36 GB available)
Battery 95% Remaining
System Version (Current Version: 6.3.4_user_#######)('Update your Kindle' grayed and unavailable)
Serial Number (#### #### #### ####)
Wi-Fi MAC Address (##)
Allow Installation of Applications (ON|OFF)
Reset to Factory Defaults

It has to be worth tapping that serial number because that might give you the Kindle Fire equivalent of being an Android Developer with options that go with it.

In "ordinary" Android, which hasn't been changed by Amazon techs, we would have to tap the Build Number seven times so I'd give the serial number tapping a shot and see if any new menus appear.

Finally, I owe you an apology. Somewhere posting back into this thredad, I had forgotten we're dealing with a Kindle and not an original Android operating system so I mislead you when I said how to find the Settings. Sorry for any wasted time.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Well, as I said in my initial post, tapping the serial number doesn't work. Not 6 times, not 7 times, not 10 times. It just does nothing. And don't worry about that, I expected this to take a little while considering the oddity that is my device. This might take a bit of troubleshooting to figure out what kind of device I've got here that doesn't seem to fit the description of other kindles given by other guides.

There seems to be no end to the alterations Amazon made to Android's original. I haven't had occasion to mess with one but it does appear they got there first. I must try to find a cheap device to mess around with and bring it back to normal.

Is this a fairly new acquisition? I ask only because your post shows the phrase "Internal Storage" referring to the SdCard. Only Android Marshmallow - the latest flavour - differentiates between Internal and Portable storage. If it is that new, it's a slightly different procedure to achieve what's known as Systemless Root..

I always root with KingoRoot and suggest you do the same because this page https://www.kingoapp.com/root-tutorials/how-to-root-android-6.0-marshmallow.htm is quite good for the information you need to get SuperSu up and running.

Only follow that if you're certain you have an altered version of Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

It is a fairly new device for me, but not for its previous owner. The previous owner isn't even sure when he got it, but it's been several years. This tablet doesn't even have a camera. Also, the previous owner didn't even buy it, he got it from someone else, from somewhere we're not sure about. It was probably very cheap. A very cheap tablet bought several years ago. I'm really not sure if it's a Marshmallow or not. Are there any particular tells?

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

How can I root a Kindle from a PC? And the Google Play store is not possible to access on my Kindle, I've tried extensively. One of the many reasons I'd like it rooted.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Ahh yes, I'm sure I have one of those. I didn't get one with the kindle when it was given to me, but I know there's at least one of those laying around. Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it works.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

This is the page I initially tried to use: https://www.kingoapp.com/
The Windows button gave me the 500 error. And then the green button on the page you linked also gave me a 500 error. The only one that worked was the Cnet button, how ironic. KingoRoot is now updating, so once that's done, I'll try this out.

Selyra

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Alright, new update. Windows does not recognize the device, and it seems KingoRoot isn't starting up because of that. KingoRoot opens, of course, but it stays on the 'Please connect you device via USB cable' screen indefinitely. I even performed a factory restore on the kindle, and it's still the same.