Kinect Breaks Consumer Electronics Sales Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I guess they're selling pretty well in the US then.

I haven't heard a whisper about it since launch day, and even then it was overshadowed by one or two major titles releasing on the same day.

Unfortunately, this is bad news for those (myself included) wanting Microsoft to start off the next-gen of consoles - with this success they'll be milking Kinect for a while..

Nightskeeter

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, lots of silly people. Only one games worth playing, so why bother wasting $150 just for Kinect Sports. But then again, Lots of parents got it for their Kids to play. So not surprising at all by all means.

Yawn, they should of just came out with the new Xbox over this Crap.

Nightskeeter

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hell, then again EVERY time one of my buddies fires up his kinect over the weekend Half of the people leave the house immediatly. I'd have to agree with adamboy, I never hear people say "wow Kinect is super hot go get one" anymore other than tech sites, and from their hundreds of millions of dollars on campaign AD's I would suspect them to sell like hotcakes with that kind of money spent just to ADVERTISE it.

G

8 million retards bought this gimmick just to dance in front of a Tv for a few hours and then get bored.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
You better read this then:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/New-Xbox-Jobs-Microsoft-Hiring-Microsoft-Jobs,12342.html
It will be another 2 years or more before you can buy it...

[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]I guess they're selling pretty well in the US then.I haven't heard a whisper about it since launch day, and even then it was overshadowed by one or two major titles releasing on the same day.Unfortunately, this is bad news for those (myself included) wanting Microsoft to start off the next-gen of consoles - with this success they'll be milking Kinect for a while..[/citation]

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I've heard so many people knocking this device around me, it got stale. But MS proved them wrong with hard, solid numbers. Good for MS![/citation]
Also for PrimeSense, the inventor of the 3D/range camera.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have to ask. how many cameras are hooked up to consoles? as i have no intrest in it for console, but for the pc... another story.

and if i want one for pc only, there have to be more outside of the developers and students using it for projects

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Hasn't anyone learned with WII yet?

Really, all this 'Active Motion Playing' will go out like the evening trash. Just give us a decent console with decent games and decent titles...no more 3rd party stuff guys!

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]LaughingMan[/nom]8 million retards bought this gimmick just to dance in front of a Tv for a few hours and then get bored.[/citation]
That's more workout than sitting at the pc gives you anytime, anyday. Eitherway i think everyone should have a Kinect and i have yet to automatically link it to Xbox for me when i hear about Kinect the thoughts that go trough my mind are , motion controlled 3D moddeling, standard motion controller for diverse apps, combined 3D interaction with 3D glasses, real time 3D objects scanning with 4 way Kinects. Ever cast a spell in WoW by actually mimicking the cast?
There is more to the device then the console its why it sells so well.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hardcore gamers are gonna cry because it threatens their comfy, cozy "sit on my butt and move a mouse/push buttons" mentality.

The problem with Hardcore gamers and their sad state of denial is that they expect the game's graphics to move them emotionally. The Kinect expects YOU to move YOURSELF physically and emotionally.

It's the physical involvement that has Hardcore gamers upset with Wii/Kinect stuff. Anything that threatens their couch-potato lifestyle must be instantly trashed or else they may be expected to physically exert themselves in some way to feel relevant or, god forbid, be entertained...

G

While there certainly have been a fair amount of Xbox owners buying it I think the modder community is driving the sales. Plus they're adding support for in theXNA library which just opens up a huge world of possibilities. I don't own an Xbox and I'm thinking of getting one just to play around with XNA liband build cool apps for my PC.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
hehe. With these comments it sounds like a lot of fat MS hating gamers just prefer to sit on their butts and twiddle their thumbs like mad instead actually moving.

G

Got one and love it.
I'm a hard core Halo gamer and it got me off my a$$ to do something other than "twiddling" my thumbs.
My whole family plays. My 6 year old is a KILLER bowler. And the fighting game is amazing.
I can't wait until the official SDK is available (soon I hear) so that developers can port it to the PC. Minority Report anyone?

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]LaughingMan[/nom]8 million retards bought this gimmick just to dance in front of a Tv for a few hours and then get bored.[/citation]

Or people bought it to use with their PC. I like the kinect personally.

G

There is one reason "hardcore" gamers don't like Kinect. It's not a good game controller.

How do you translate "walk" into Kinect? Will you have to dance, just to walk? Also, you can't count on it for split-second commands.

It's still a very interesting UI device and it will be king for dance and workout games, but it doesn't work that well for a standard action games.

Nightskeeter

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Hardcore gamers are gonna cry because it threatens their comfy, cozy "sit on my butt and move a mouse/push buttons" mentality.The problem with Hardcore gamers and their sad state of denial is that they expect the game's graphics to move them emotionally. The Kinect expects YOU to move YOURSELF physically and emotionally.It's the physical involvement that has Hardcore gamers upset with Wii/Kinect stuff. Anything that threatens their couch-potato lifestyle must be instantly trashed or else they may be expected to physically exert themselves in some way to feel relevant or, god forbid, be entertained...[/citation]

Actually, the reason hardcore gamers hate it are because the games are mediocre at BEST. Literally, what game other than kinect sports(and thats the best one so far). They can only go so far with this no controller scheme. (workout games, and a very limited amount of sports games).
I get tired of watching my friend hold his arm out like a tard for 2 seconds for it to let you pick an icon to start a game. Controllers, are much more faster and easier than this crap.

And not even to mention when he pauses a movie, you have to say Xbox pause, Xbox fastforward, EASIER, to just ummmmm, press Pause with a remote. (unless you like talking to yourself and your Xbox.)

If games keep going this direction, and are made for the masses of well, Not real gamers, just occasional gamers. As we have already seen even the console games now adays are even usually so easy a caveman can do it. I can't imagine how lame games are gonna be in 10 years from now the way the industry is going. (you cant make a game good just cause it has (achievements, and unlocks to sucker you into playing it even though its dull and void of a game).

The Xbox360 is for the hardcore croud, while this "Kinect" is made for different crouds all together.

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive that they sold this many units this fast, that is just excellent on Microsofts part. But with numbers like this, it will without a shadow of a doubt be on the next system. (which could be bad, or good no-one knows yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.