Kodak Sues Apple and Blackberry Maker, RIM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]The patent system needs to die. It's utterly destroying innovation. Just because one dude thought up the idea, that doesn't mean they're the best for the job. In fact, most times other companies can make better use of the patent.[/citation]

...sdrawkcab lla ti evah uoY

The patent system doesn't destroy innovation... it protects it.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I don't know the details of this case. It might very well be infringing on their patents. On the other hand...

The patent could be so vague as to be "A process for capturing an image with a hand-held electronic device and stored in digital format for later viewing and transfer to another device" which would make any digital camera, video camera with still function, cellular phone with a camera, PMP with a camera, hand-held game system with a camera, etc. Which would be so blatently wide in its coverage that no one could ever make any gadget without infringing.

A patent should have to be absolutely precise in its description. It should have to name the exact details of the cmos sensor and lens configuration, supported resolutions, meathod of storage and conversion of the image to the storage format etc. and only cover that single method. If someone else comes up with a way to do the exact same thing without using any of the EXACT same pieces then they should be able to produce a product without fear of patent cases.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Successful patent troll is successful.[/citation]
Agreed.

Anyways, I do like to see get Apple PWNED just because they think they are golden (esp. the Mac users).

hjghgh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
This is a good thing someone who is an expert came out with a good idea and rolled it out to everyone so all phones can be improved instead of holding it and giving it to no one to a few.
this is not surprising nor is it bad. frankly Kodak spent a ton of money developing camera technology so that "Kodak also has licensing deals with Nokia, Sony, Ericsson and Motorola and receives royalties from them in exchange for using the technology." They deserve the royalties and frankly the phone makers wouldn't make their phones unless they could make that money.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
They should apply common sense to issuing patents...

Things that are too obvious should not be patentable, like multi touch for touch screens.

I mean how Stupid can you get!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something like that should be seen as almost as obvious as breathing.
Everyone all over the world would come up with that one as a simple part of the way people are:

We almost all have more than 1 finger and will want to operate a user interface with more than 1 finger...

Besides people (like Jeff Han) have been publicly demoing multi touch displays for YEARS and yet that stupidity still went through for Apple to get that patent.

Is this World INSANE!?!?!?!???????

In the same light why not patent a "keyboard" where you can press more than one key at a time LOL

No one has that yet right???

I'm gonna be Rich...
...runs of to apply for patent before Apple thinks of it!

Crazy :(

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Sega owns a patent for having a 3D movable camera in a video game. That would be one massive lawsuit. I guess some companies know what they can fight for, some don't, and some try anyway (like Apple).

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]You have got to love these patent lawsuits. Yeah, let us inhibit progress even more because you expect someone else to pay you for their hard work. I believe that copyrights and patents should last for 15 years, at the absolute max, for technology. There should be a 5 year patent and copyright length, maximum, for medications, but also have that 5 years start after the FDA finishes dragging its damned feet.No renewals, to tag-backs, do not pass go, you lose the right to claim something as private after a certain length of time when you initially released it to the world. Now, there could be one small exception: Perhaps we could allow for a patent fee past the five or 15 year mark, adding 5 more years. This patent fee could not exceed, let's say, $2USD or something close to that.We need to work on new products, not continue to rehash the same, old bullshit. There are too many manufacturers that are simply adding small extras, many that should have been in from the start, and essentially attempting to bait customers into purchasing the same product all over again(hello PSP, iPhone, and many others).[/citation]
problem is, with such agressive rules, nobody will be interested in funding R&D

fortmccubble

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]They should apply common sense to issuing patents...Things that are too obvious should not be patentable, like multi touch for touch screens.I mean how Stupid can you get!?!?!?!?!?!?Something like that should be seen as almost as obvious as breathing.Everyone all over the world would come up with that one as a simple part of the way people are:We almost all have more than 1 finger and will want to operate a user interface with more than 1 finger...Besides people (like Jeff Han) have been publicly demoing multi touch displays for YEARS and yet that stupidity still went through for Apple to get that patent.Is this World INSANE!?!?!?!???????In the same light why not patent a "keyboard" where you can press more than one key at a time LOLNo one has that yet right???I'm gonna be Rich......runs of to apply for patent before Apple thinks of it!Crazy[/citation]
How can you objectively determine what is obvious vs. something that isn't? It's like standing in front of a computer that is turned on and you can see the monitor isn't plugged in. You and I might clearly see that but not everyone does. Not exactly in the same context when it comes to an idea but the point is the same. Anyway people have already made this point just as clear but this was a stupid post.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Successful patent troll is successful.[/citation]
I should have thought a bit before I spoke. I know Kodak has had a hand in camera technology since the dawn of film, and they have every right to pursue and protect their IP. I only made the comment to be funny. Too many memes on the mind I guess. /facepalm

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
oh, I thought it was rather valid if a little long winded maybe.

Especially as people had been publically demonstrating the tech years before Apple touched it...

Hard to be a more obvious case of a patent that should not have been issued!

G

Pallin: I holeheartly agreee with you!

Choujij: Are you serious?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Yeah LOL

Cheecky guy!

Anyways, here's another one for you guys:

Was a guys some years back in the states who had an operation to remove an inflamed organ (forget which) then later found out that the hospital in question applied for a patent on some new chemical his organ they removed was producing that was Incredibly valuable to the medical industry - making them millions!

He complained they went behind his back - and was told to go jump...

As part of the signed document for the operation there was a clause signing over ownership for any organs removed in the operation to the hospital.

Way wrong - they Obviously knew what they were planning before removing it.

Not very fair >_

Status
Not open for further replies.