Kodak's 1080p Pocket Camcorder for $180

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

High definition happy slapping, coming from school kids soon!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
It is from Kodak so you know the image quality will suck. I have seen result from Kodak compact digi-cam that looks like a scan of a faded photo.

G

Niftier than a $2 hooker with 38 pennies in change !?!?!?!?!

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Is there any point including 128mb of memory really?!? If 20 mins uses 1gb, that gives you a whole 2 minutes of recording. Devices like this should come standard with 1gb minimum these days.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
"..and a 4X digital zoom."

No optical zoom and a mobile phone lens. It just went into my "cool stuff that suck" book.

This is just a mobile phone with HD filming capability, without the mobile phone features. Don't expect any high quality clips from this one.

Corporate_goon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
The point of making a 1080p camera with a garbage lens and probably other garbage components escapes me. I'm betting an SD camcorder for the same price will get you a much better picture.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I'm sorry, but these small cameras, even with stability and what-not still are too easy to jiggle and even pick up your pulse. People laugh at the size of the old VHS camcorders, but the picture was more fluid.

I guess I just like the size and feel of 3CCD larger cameras vs these pocket ones for quality.

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I would assume its about 2.5x the size, so 1GB for about 8 minutes? I'd assume the 128 MB of internal memory is for something along the lines of software and such, and probably won't even let you record video onto it. For those that are talking about video quality (which is, of course, not good), the emphasis of all of these devices is not video quality. It's for portability and convenience for videos that don't have to be nice at all. I carry a similar device around just to have at the right moments, and I would never carry a full or even compact camcorder everywhere I go.

That being said, having one at 1080p vs 720p is going to provide very little overall benefit, other than taking up more space...

G

This seems to be a cool product, I used to have an old Kodak 2.1MP camera but those pics were really great, I don't know what happened later with Kodak products but maybe this is a good one also and for that price I'll give it a try.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This will be a piece of crap. Good thing there are millions of stupid Americans that will think it's "cool" since it's HD. If it weren't for them, kodak, vivatar, etc wouldn't be around anymore. Stick with Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Hitachi for real quality. And expect to pay a bit more :)

G

I disagree with what most of you are banging on about. I've got the Zi6 and it's surprisingly good, obviously for £100 it's not going to replace any high end cameras anytime soon but for the price it's excellent. If thats anything to go by this should be a nice product for the price.

Many people are hating on the lens without optical zoom. Most customers do not realize to look for this and do not understand that their is a difference between optical and digital zoom. They will buy it because it is small (ie cute), cheap and HD. Then they will buy 8GB SDHC cards because it sounds like a lot of memory and it costs a lot of money at Best Buy not realising they probably could have bought a 32GB card from Newegg for the same price. They will then proceed to buy the three year warranty the sales person panics them into buying for a cheap POS camcorder.

If consumers cared about picture quality they would only buy SLR's then take photography courses to learn how to take a good picture and what lenses to get for different conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.