Question Lag and Stuttering on my Gaming Laptop WHILE it's Plugged In and Playing Games

Feb 17, 2021
I'm currently owning an HP Omen 15 that I bought last November. Everything was working perfectly up until a month ago.

When I play games on battery, the laptop runs fine and gaming goes smoothly.

However, when I plug in my laptop, suddenly it lags and my game stutters and tanks in FPS constantly. Sometimes there are seconds in between where the game runs smoothly again but then it goes back to a lot of stuttering and very low FPS.

I've looked through the advanced power settings. I've created a custom power plan. I've created a custom config for my game to optimize it. I've checked my drivers's settings (AMD and Nvidia). I troubleshooted my adaptor and battery to see if the problem was from there but they are also 100% okay. But yet I haven't been able to fix the issue.

I've looked through the background apps as well and disabled a couple but I don't know if that's the problem at all.

At this point I don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Here is some info on my PC:

PC: HP Omen 15 (2020)
RAM: 32 GB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H (8-core)
Radeon Graphics 2.90 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Driver Version 461.40)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alexandruhada12 Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 0
IsaacSmith423 Laptop Tech Support 7
G Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 4
N Laptop Tech Support 7
K Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 19
N Laptop Tech Support 4