Laggy laptop - I've tried everything

Apr 28, 2015
Laptop is fully updated. I've tried reinstalling windows before, but it's just as laggy as it was before. Updated all device drivers, both with freeware, and manually. Checked for viruses using 360 total security, malwarebytes and superantispyware (a combo that has never made my laptop lag for the year that I've had it). Tried network boot but it failed for some reason o_O

Windows 8.1
Intel i5 540m
Nvidia 5100m
4 gb ram

Laptop is called HP Elitebook 8540p

A lot of people on yahoo say this is a weak computer that can barely play video games, and that's how i know a lot of people on yahoo BS without knowing what they're talking about because I've played games from 2014 (ASM2) and 2015 (DBZX) at full screen with no problems before. Toms hardware has always been a more reliable source for me, so i thought I'd try here.

I thought i tried everything, but today i woke up with the idea to try cleaning the fan. I took a can of compressed air and shot it in through the vents. Now my computer is a bit more speedy, it takes a while to lag (where before it would lag right off the bat) and seems to regulate itself after a while. Not as laggy anymore, but still laggy -> Vice city (2003) lags like hell but i can still use it for work like microsoft word and reading books without too much of a disturbance.

It still lags running most programs including word processor or chrome, but regulates itself so that it's speedy again after a few seconds of inactivity.

Solution

Depends on the laptop, but can be. My HP Elitebook looks fairly easy to get to the CPU; my Dell requires disassembling practically the entire laptop.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Temps? Sounds like it's overheating and throttling way back.

You probably need to disassemble it and re-apply thermal paste. I have a Dell of the same generation that was constantly running at 200*+ F. Thermal paste had dried up and was completely ineffective.

Apr 28, 2015

How would i go about doing this? Is it a complicated procedure?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Depends on the laptop, but can be. My HP Elitebook looks fairly easy to get to the CPU; my Dell requires disassembling practically the entire laptop.

Solution