Lap to to Home Theater System

Jun 4, 2015
I am wondering if there is a way I can hook my laptop up to my Home Theater System. My laptop does have an hdmi outlet however the Home Theater Systems options are only hdmi out or rca. I was looking at the hdmi to rca cables but, I read a lot of negative comments saying they do not work. I am not concerned with video output. I can see everything from the laptop, I only want to know if I can do it for the Audio. Any help would be great!!

Solution
by rca you stereo only (red+white+ correct? you could use the laptops headphone jack (3.5mm) to a rca adapter and get stereo sound working in this manner.

if your home theater only has rca input then you're not going to get surround sound out of it though, unless it has other inputs you did not mention. you could always look around for a used receiver and replace yours with something superior that will handle hdmi input which would be much better but until then i think you're likely going to be stuck with stereo.
by rca you stereo only (red+white+ correct? you could use the laptops headphone jack (3.5mm) to a rca adapter and get stereo sound working in this manner.

if your home theater only has rca input then you're not going to get surround sound out of it though, unless it has other inputs you did not mention. you could always look around for a used receiver and replace yours with something superior that will handle hdmi input which would be much better but until then i think you're likely going to be stuck with stereo.

Solution
aux2rca.jpg

is what you're looking for. you will get only 2.0 sound, but not much you can do about that if this is your only input method.

Jun 4, 2015
Just want to take a moment to say thanks :) This works perfectly and the sound quality on the stereo was not interfered with, as a matter of fact it sounds great! Also, I no longer have to go through the receiver to find the songs I am looking for, like on the ipod, I can just go straight to the song I am looking for. Once again, thank you very much, I am very satisfied with the speed of response, and that I was able to find what I was looking for without having to spend a lot of money :)