Solved! Lapotop not working on battery

Jan 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF1 laptop. The laptop does not recognize the battery anymore. The problem occurred suddenly after a windows update. These are the different situations I have tried the laptop on:

• Plugged in without battery: works properly
• Plugged in with battery inside: works, but the windows power settings change into the profile of using the laptop on the battery (low brightness, etc.) and the icon that shows the battery status indicates not plugged in, powered on battery. The charge percentage does not change.
• Not plugged in with the battery attached: the laptop does not turn on

First, I tried all the suggestions on the internet, such as changing power settings, holding the turn on button to get rid of static and basically everything that is suggested in different websites, but none of them worked. Then, thought it might be the windows update, so I tried everything from restoring to previous build, recovering from an image to restoring to factory settings and installing a new windows. None of these worked either. So, I went for buying another battery. The first one I bought was an extended life battery. The battery came in charged at 70%. Surprisingly, the laptop turned on with the battery (not plugged in), but when I plugged it in, it could not charge it. It eventually ran out and after that the laptop only started when plugged in and the battery detached. I returned the first battery and bought another one, but this one was at 0%, so the battery could not turn on the laptop and it can only start when plugged in. And everything else is just the same as when I have the original battery attached.

I would appreciate it if you could help me with this issue.

Thank you very much,
Masoud

Solution
The new batteries you bought, were they perhaps aftermarket batteries? If so, that may well be your problem. Some laptops are set up to not work properly with aftermarket ones and some aftermarket ones just aren't that good. If this is the case, I would suggest returning them and then getting an OEM battery.

If, however they are OEM, or at least one of them is, then I would start looking at the charging circuit, which sadly could lead to a motherboard replacement. So I would start with getting an OEM battery.
The new batteries you bought, were they perhaps aftermarket batteries? If so, that may well be your problem. Some laptops are set up to not work properly with aftermarket ones and some aftermarket ones just aren't that good. If this is the case, I would suggest returning them and then getting an OEM battery.

If, however they are OEM, or at least one of them is, then I would start looking at the charging circuit, which sadly could lead to a motherboard replacement. So I would start with getting an OEM battery.

Solution
Jan 5, 2019
webworkings - thank you so much for the quick response. Unfortunately, I had no luck finding the OEM battery on the websites of the authorized parts distributors of Sony, the Encompass Parts and Union Electronics. I also searched other websites but all are out of stock. Anyway, thanks for the answer. I might try a few more aftermarket ones to test my chances.