Laptop AC adaptor problems?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Alright, so I've got an old Toshiba L455-S5008 that seems to be having issues with power.

Now sometime last night out of nowhere I noticed when I detached my laptop from the power cord it just shut off. No warnings, or anything. So I plug it back in (As it wouldn't boot) and it comes back on. I noticed that the led indicating the battery was charging flashed for a second then went off.

So I proceeded to check on the problem. I tried removing the battery, keeping it out for 30 seconds. Even used another battery (Same model) only to find the same problem. The AC cord would push power to the PC but not charge the battery.

Add to it windows 7 begins telling me that I should replace my battery (regardless of which of the 3 batteries I use.)

So I decided to check the AC adapter, and suddenly even then it wouldn't start up. Worked on the other laptops, just not this one... So now on top of not being able to charge batteries... My laptop can only be powered by this one specific cord.

What could be wrong here? And what approximate cost will it be to replace? (So I know if I just need to junk this thing and not worry about it anymore.)

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
all three batteries very well could be shot, and unable to hold a charge anymore. are you sure that the other 2 were good? was the second ac adapter used able to supply enough power for the laptop?

cause it works with the cable that came with it, that makes me think its good, but the battery is shot. but fill me and we'll look further.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Pretty sure the second two I used work.

I mean they both work in their respective laptops (Both different models the laptop battery models are the same. )

And the charger is the newest of the bunch and works with both of the other laptops.

annasu

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Buy one (I use a Targus adapter) which is capable of putting out an equal or greater power output as the one your wife has. It should say it on the adapter itself. I don't remember how I determined my laptop's power requirements. I think I took it from the battery's voltage and amperage stats.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Alright, I'll go ahead and try that.

Any suggestions on how one would find those values? (I no longer have any manuals/CD's this laptop came with =S)

Jacquelim

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Usually you can find the values on the adapter. Even if you can't recognize the letter on it, you can still find a adapter to fit your laptop.
I lost my adapter once. I couldn't use my laptop for a long time, searching for the right adapter. Fortunately I got the right one named RAVPower. I didn't know whether it would fit at the first place, since I didn't know the output or the connector. They checked it for me and found me a right one. Now I have used it for a long time. Maybe you can have a try.