Laptop: Acer or Asus. Which would you choose (and why)? Incl. Specs.

LoveMyFile

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Hello all! I have a tough decision to make between Asus A541UJ VS Acer Aspire v15 V5-591G. I will be using the machine for all-tasks, but mostly development and virtual machines.

Processor

• Asus has a newer processor (i7-7500U)
    Acer has an older, but more powerful processor (i7-6700HQ)
Storage

• Asus has a 256GB SSD
    Acer has a 1TB HDD (and 1 x Slot M.2 2280 free)
Memory

• Asus comes with 12 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz (4GB onboard + 8GB)
    Acer comes with 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4
Another important aspect I have noticed is the Asus screen looks too bright and has less definition, also, I prefer using the Acer keyboard. Both has almost same price and I know I can upgrade the Acer, but it would get more expensive than Asus. Any opinions? Thanks!

Solution
I have an Acer Spin 3 i7 model as seen here https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA8X553D8223 (mine is the 6th gen)

I bought it at Costco when it was on sale, it looked really good on paper but it was a complete POS until I installed an SSD and the m.2 slot.

It took over 24 hours to install Windows Updates, and it would constantly freeze up doing basic stuff like opening Microsoft Edge.
A lot of people have had the same problem with the Spin series.
I don't know exactly what the problem was, because I now use the original HDD for storage it doesn't have any issues.

Wiping the original HDD was a pain in the ass too, I had to vanilla install Windows 10 via USB on the SSD, and could only format the original hard drive using Windows...

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Go for acer not only because that cpu is much more powerful and don't have supershity cooling, it have 2 ram slots so you can add more ram later and getting for faster ssd isn't hard too.

LoveMyFile

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

Thanks for your reply, Mister_MO! :)

wamzi

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014

omg the acer is far more superior compare to the laptop specs of asus

HandshakeSniffer

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I have an Acer Spin 3 i7 model as seen here https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA8X553D8223 (mine is the 6th gen)

I bought it at Costco when it was on sale, it looked really good on paper but it was a complete POS until I installed an SSD and the m.2 slot.

It took over 24 hours to install Windows Updates, and it would constantly freeze up doing basic stuff like opening Microsoft Edge.
A lot of people have had the same problem with the Spin series.
I don't know exactly what the problem was, because I now use the original HDD for storage it doesn't have any issues.

Wiping the original HDD was a pain in the ass too, I had to vanilla install Windows 10 via USB on the SSD, and could only format the original hard drive using Windows installation, since bootrec was saying the device was in use even though I was booting from another drive.

It works fine now, but I had to spend another $150 on top of the original $550, and I was nervous as hell when I was taking it apart.

I'd go for the Asus, at the very least read a lot of reviews and see if that model has the same problems

Solution

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I can tell you that asus is worst of all asus lines of notebooks, they have very bad cooling, sometimes problematic keyboard and quite bad battery design. As for that acer, you need only ssd and that doesn't cost 150$ if you wont go for 512gb model, you can easily get 120gb that can be enough for system and basic apps for 60$ or bit less.