laptop aircraft hold

Solution

If you don't use a TSA recognized lock. They will break it. Be prepared to wait up to six...
Depends on the suitcase you use. The firmer the suitcase and the more padding. The better it will be protected. My main concern would be about something crushing. So, I would use one of those small laptop bags. Although I think another concern is a baggage screener getting a new laptop... Yours!

robert.k.lewis2010

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

Thanks for replying:) I intended to wrap the laptop in a plastic bag and in my clothes. I have locks on the case so if the case is opened, I can report it as theft. I thought that I would remove the battery as I think the hold does not get heating and not sure if the battery would survive, I know it would lose its charge due to the cold.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Why in the hold? When I fly I normally see people take them with them on the plane as a carry on. Is that not an option?

In the hold powered off should be fine. I don't see how you'd have any problems. If it's not heated I wouldn't power it up as soon as it's off the plane, but it should be fine by the time you reach home/hotel.

Spelling edit.

If you don't use a TSA recognized lock. They will break it. Be prepared to wait up to six months for a decision on your claim if it is stolen. Many airlines also will not take liability for electronics in the cargo hold and say not to put it there.
TSA Claims: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

Don't forget to encrypt your laptop. If it does get nabbed.

As for it being safe for the battery. Yes, it will be fine. Otherwise the FAA would ban any electronics with lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold. If the cold could damage them. It would be a huge fire risk. For a while it was required for some international flights. I think that ban is over now. However, it must be installed. Spare non-installed batteries are banned from the cargo hold and must be carried on board.

Solution

robert.k.lewis2010

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

really pleased with all the answers and advice. I did not know that carrying the battery in my carry on bag might cause security problems. I wanted to carry a lighter load, I usually do take the laptop with me onboard. I usually have assistance to help and have found that loading the conveyer belt with all the electric bits, takes a bit of time and effort. At the moment, I have the carry on bag, the clear bag with all liquides and another for all the medications, so it does get awkward:)