Laptop Audio Only Signal, on top of Playstation 4 via Onkyo Receiver.

whiskeybanjo

Estimable
May 4, 2014
Hey All!

My setup is a laptop running windows 7, an onkyo receiver HT-RC430, a ps4, and a panasonic TV, TCP42S30.

1. I'd like to have my laptop connected to the receiver for only audio.
2. I'd like my PS4 to be connected via hdmi for audio and visual.

Ideally, I'd be able to overlay the sound so that if i'm playing ps4, I can get in-game sound, and music from my laptop. If that's not possible, what should I use for an audio only connection to the receiver? HDMI seems to require some signal from the TV?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
If you connect the PS4 to another HDMI input on the TV you can select that input on the TV for picture (and audio so you could even mix a little game sound via the TV speakers). Connect the laptop as described above so when you select the laptop on your receiver you will get your music.
If you have to connect your PS4 to the receiver via HDMI then go into the receiver input set up menu and see if you can select the analog input you have the laptop connected to as the audio source for the PS4 input. It may let you do this. Worth a try.

whiskeybanjo

Estimable
May 4, 2014

Thanks, just to clarify.

so i'd use the stereo jack to rca, then an rca cable to from the converter to the receiver?

Not sure i follow on the hdmi directly to the tv? I just want audio from the laptop to play music no matter what input on the receiver i have selected (but still get audio from the input that is selected, ie game sound from ps4).

If you connect the PS4 to another HDMI input on the TV you can select that input on the TV for picture (and audio so you could even mix a little game sound via the TV speakers). Connect the laptop as described above so when you select the laptop on your receiver you will get your music.
If you have to connect your PS4 to the receiver via HDMI then go into the receiver input set up menu and see if you can select the analog input you have the laptop connected to as the audio source for the PS4 input. It may let you do this. Worth a try.

Solution

whiskeybanjo

Estimable
May 4, 2014

Awesome! If I do it this way, I can use my headphones for ps4 too, so ya, this will work perfectly. Thanks!