Solved! Laptop battery breaks after charging for the first time

Apr 20, 2018
Hi, I have an Acer Travelmate P257 and recently it wasn’t turning on, I realised the battery was the problem and fixed it, but after plugging it in to charge the new battery is just as broken as the old one now and the laptop will no longer turn on whilst the battery is attached. I’m wondering if the charger could possibly be the problem as it stopped working when I tried to charge it, however I thought I should ask first because it would start to get expensive if I keep testing what’s wrong

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Solution
If it’s not a genuine part then it could be the battery won’t work. I have never had good luck with 3rd party laptop batteries.

As the power supply can run the laptop it seems ok, the possibilities are then either battery or laptop charging circuit.

sizzling

Distinguished
How did you ‘fix’ the battery? They are not something you would normally fix, instead you replace. If it’s new is it a genuine Acer part?

It is possible something has gone faulty. If you take the battery out and just use the power supply does it switch on still?

Apr 20, 2018

Sorry I should've been more specific. Yes I replaced the battery with a new battery, the part does seem like a genuine Acer part but it was not purchased from Acer so I can't be certain

The laptop works perfectly with no battery attached to it, it is only when the battery is attached that it doesn't work. This is the same problem as before when it had the stock battery. I agree something has gone faulty but I can't be sure if it is the charger or what, it seems like it is but I was hoping someone would have more of an idea

sizzling

Distinguished
If it’s not a genuine part then it could be the battery won’t work. I have never had good luck with 3rd party laptop batteries.

As the power supply can run the laptop it seems ok, the possibilities are then either battery or laptop charging circuit.

Solution