Laptop battery problem

kaushik37

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I have a Lenovo G580 laptop. After using for about 4 years, suddenly today, a popup message appeared on the screen regarding battery life. It says, "consider replacing your battery".

(1) Does this mean that it is time to change the battery?

(2) Suppose, I intend to change the battery after a few months. Could I be able to run the laptop by AC power supply, or is there an immediate need to change the battery?

(3) How long does a laptop battery generally last?

Solution
1. Yes, that is exactly what "consider replacing your battery" means, time to replace it.

2. You can run it fine as it, it just won't run on battery power for long

3. About 3 years normal use before the charge it can hold starts to drop quite a bit
1. Yes, that is exactly what "consider replacing your battery" means, time to replace it.

2. You can run it fine as it, it just won't run on battery power for long

3. About 3 years normal use before the charge it can hold starts to drop quite a bit

Solution

XistenZ

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
If you're using the laptop as a desktop (it has a permanent spot on your desk or kitchentable for example) like 90% of the population* then you actually don't even need a battery. Have it plugged in at all times. To answer question 2, yeah it's perfectly fine and your laptop don't mind it at all.
If you get a new battery keep in mind that if you know you're going to have the laptop on the same spot for quite some time then it's best to remove the battery until you need to move the laptop. The battery is constantly drained and recharged if the laptop is plugged in.

*made up numbers based on experience. The pleb actually believes that desktops are ancient machines lol.