Solved! Laptop battery report

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,

I am about to buy a second hand surface pro 4 with m-processor for 280 eur (definitly dont want a fan hence the choice for m-processor)

I am going to ask for a battery life check with the powercfg /batteryreport command (won’t be easy cause it has no keyboard).

I am wondering how I should interpret the report though.

I guess the two values in the report I should compare to one another are ‘design capacity’ vs ‘full charge capacity’. Is that correct?

And what difference between both values should be considered acceptable? I am not expecting any miracles from a used device but would still like to have 4 hours on a full charge of light - medium use (the main use would be Netflix and some webbrowsing).

thanks for any advice!

Solution
If you are saving that much buying it used vs. even a factory refurbished unit, deal with it as is and if the battery is shot or hasn't been charged fully then used on battery power alone, buy a new battery for it. Pretty hard to quantify how good the battery in a laptop is unless you actually use the thing. Frankly I would stay away from used computers from 3rd party sellers. New ones are so cheap these days, or at least a factory refurbished one if you are on a tight budget, that you will at least have the manufacturer backing it up. As my grandma used to say, "used is exactly what the word implies".

URsurrounded

Great
Feb 10, 2020
If you are saving that much buying it used vs. even a factory refurbished unit, deal with it as is and if the battery is shot or hasn't been charged fully then used on battery power alone, buy a new battery for it. Pretty hard to quantify how good the battery in a laptop is unless you actually use the thing. Frankly I would stay away from used computers from 3rd party sellers. New ones are so cheap these days, or at least a factory refurbished one if you are on a tight budget, that you will at least have the manufacturer backing it up. As my grandma used to say, "used is exactly what the word implies".

Solution