Laptop Battery Won't Charge Fully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriskam

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi guys, I just recently bought a laptop about 3-4 weeks ago, and my battery doesn't charge past 33%. This happened spontaneously, quite literally.

I was simply studying and then a notification popped up about how my battery was malfunctioning or something (I can't remember what exactly it said, but I no longer get that notification anymore) and it immediately stopped recharging past 33%. It was working perfectly fine and recharging to 100% literally minutes before...

Anyone know of any possible solutions and reasons for said problem? I really doubt my battery died after 3 short weeks...

Solution

Laptop batteries are composed of load balanced arrays of Lithium Ion 18650 rechargeable cells. There's internal hardware within the battery...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Laptop batteries are composed of load balanced arrays of Lithium Ion 18650 rechargeable cells. There's internal hardware within the battery that prevents the batteries from being depleted (which will prevent them from being recharged) or overcharged (which is really really bad). Sometimes either the cells or the circuitry will fail. Most of these batteries are made in China and are thus shitty by design, association, and definition. This is more than likely the culprit, part of your battery just died. I had the same thing happen to an Asus netbook of mine, the whole battery just refused to charge after a few weeks.

Batteries are usually covered under their own warranty and not under that of the manufacturer.

Solution

chriskam

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the help guys! Turns out my battery completely died soon after and I went ahead and bought a 2 year warranty from Best Buy and they completely replaced it.

Sucks that I had to pay an extra $150, but at least I get some security in my investment.

Killyouself

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
First off. You waisted your time if you accually bought or took it back to get it fixed because its all in the settings. Someone abviously just said that they got a message sayin' something to do with the battery so its common sense to look and look and look deeper and deeper in the settings to find your own solution as i did. Which is to go to VAIO Control Center, then just turn on/off the battery care function to adjust the maximum charge. And once it is turned on there is two options that read "80%" "50%" so thats the problem i had, but if its something else like 33% then you'll just have to observe and change your own personal settings. - Your Welcome

smurray09

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

1. Learn how to spell.. it's killYOURself not "killyouself", "obviously" "wasted" and "actually". Don't come on forums and try to belittle others because they're having a problem with their computer.

2. Not everyone has the same computer that you have, therefore the fix you suggested will not work with every computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.