Laptop becomes unresponsive??

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
My sisters lap top becomes unresponsive after turning on. What i mean is that after she turns her computer on and logs on to her screen and you try to click on something the mouse pointer does its thing where it spins like its thinking but just keeps spinning similar to when you click on something and it shows an hour glass while it's trying to access what you clicked on. Problem is that once it does that you can't click on anything or access anything. An sometimes the screen just goes black as well and i can't even do ctrl/alt/delete. I can move the mouse around but can't click on anything or do nothing. I thought maybe she had a bad virus or something so i reformatted her hard drive and even after that it would have the issue. Now, i thought maybe it stop doing it because i brought it home and was messing with it and i thought maybe i fixed it because it started to act normal for few days but the problem started again. The only way to do anything productive on her computer is that i have to start it in safe mode. It works in safe mode, barely, with network to. What could be causing the computer to become unresponsive and make freeze up where nothing can be clicked on?? Even in safe mode while i'm trying to type this the computer will have random hiccups and my typing will freeze up then everything i've tried to type will just finally appear. even n safe mode it's messing up. What could be the issue.

Solution
Yeah I don't think the hard drive could be the cause of the problem. From what your saying it sounds like it is either something with the cpu or ram. My suggestion would be to download memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ on a USB and run that on start-up. After that i would get a stress like prime95 to test the cpu. keep us posted

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005

that's what I'm wondering. Maybe cpu,video card or hard drive. I downloaded the Segate hard drive test program and let it run all the test overnight. No errors came up so im thinking it isn't the hard drive. The specs of her lap top is this:

Hp pavilion dv6 notebook pc
intel(r) core(TM) i3 cpu M350 @ 2.27 GHz 2.26 GHZ
4 gb ram
500 gb hard drive
windows 7(64 bit)

StealthParade

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Yeah I don't think the hard drive could be the cause of the problem. From what your saying it sounds like it is either something with the cpu or ram. My suggestion would be to download memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ on a USB and run that on start-up. After that i would get a stress like prime95 to test the cpu. keep us posted

Solution

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005

yeah, I download mentest86 but haven't done it yet. I'll need to run memtest86 via USB stick due to the lap top not having floppy. I've never done memtest86 via USB stick so i need to learn how to do that. I've done memtest86 before in the past on my home PC but always did that with the floppy. Memtest86 is a great program and it does a great job catching memory sticks that have gone bad. Thanks for the reminder on the prime95, I completely forgot about that one.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005

Okay, I ran memtest86 for 24 hours straight and no error messages so I feel safe to say it isn't that. I guess next would be prime95. I ran it a bit yesterday to see how it works but I'm not that familiar with it. In what setting should i run it in and is it a program that once you start it keeps going like Memtest86? I'm guessing i need to run prime95 Windows normal mode and not in safe mode to get the best reading. How do you recommend i run prime95??

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
SO, i noticed before that when her lap top would start to freeze a bit that the fan would seem to kick in. Well, today i was on and heard the fan kicking in and managed to open a program that tells me the temp of her cores....Well, one core was reading 80 DEGREES CELSIUS and the other core was pushing 85 DEGREES CELSIUS!!!! :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: WOW!!! I didn't know a processor could sustain those temps. I'm surprise they didn't blow up! that's only 15 degrees from boiling, lol. Those were temps at basically idle to. So the question is why is the CPU getting that hot??? I'm guessing they are going bad. Well, it's nice to know the cause of the problem finally.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005

So, I'm sill unsure when it comes to Laptop cpu temps, if this things is to hot. When i run prime95 at full test the temps reach 85 degrees celcius on both cores. Is 85 degrees to hot for a laptop cpu. I Know that would be way to hot for a desktop cpu but not sure for a laptop.