Laptop boots a black screen

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I recently noticed the cpu and gpu temps going nearly 100 degrees celsius so I thought I might needed to replace the paste that was on the GPU and CPU. Once I took everything apart and put it back together, my laptop boots a black screen. The Hard Drive and power leds are on but for some reason my DVD drive doesn't make that sound when I power up my computer. Then 15-30 seconds later, my fans started to spin fast than normally over and over again. I have no clue what could lead to this. So what could be the issue?

Solution
I'm sorry but near 100 degrees celsius is a computer killer.

Long periods of time above 60 degrees celsius is in the danger zone so if you reached past the 90's, I'm afraid that computer may have met it's fate.

It's always a good idea to change or replace the thermal paste long before it gets to that point. Once every year or so is a good frame of time.

Now that I'm done lecturing I'll offer some insight.

I am certain that the over heating caused these other symptoms. The DVD drive not making a familiar sound might be because of a reassembly error on your part, but it wouldn't prevent the computer from booting up normally.

What you mentioned with the LED's means nothing other than power reaching them, and the erratic fans could...

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I'm sorry but near 100 degrees celsius is a computer killer.

Long periods of time above 60 degrees celsius is in the danger zone so if you reached past the 90's, I'm afraid that computer may have met it's fate.

It's always a good idea to change or replace the thermal paste long before it gets to that point. Once every year or so is a good frame of time.

Now that I'm done lecturing I'll offer some insight.

I am certain that the over heating caused these other symptoms. The DVD drive not making a familiar sound might be because of a reassembly error on your part, but it wouldn't prevent the computer from booting up normally.

What you mentioned with the LED's means nothing other than power reaching them, and the erratic fans could also be a clear sign of major overheating. That heat likely caused serious damage to the motherboard as well, frying internal components which led the fans malfunctioning and the like.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a 3 digit number in celsius is normally bad news for a computer.

Solution

XAshKetchumX

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

I knew Gaming Laptops were hard to deal with in the first place. I just hope to remember to pick myself up a laptop cooler haha. But still bumed out that my laptop fried. I'm sending it in to see if they can forward this issue. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it!