laptop - boots, but doesn't reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
ok, this one is weird. i have a Dell E6420 laptop, and i just restored an image from a normal hard drive onto an ssd. i avoided a clean install since i needed to keep all the setup. (to be honest, i did try a fresh install but finding the drivers was a pain - Win7 couldn't locate them by itself at all)

it will ONLY fully boot into Win7 if it's from a cold start condition (meaning it was shut down). works perfectly 100% of the time. if i'm in Win and i ask it to restart, it does its thing and hangs on POST.

yeah, BIOS / POST freezes on EVERY reboot, and then complains that it can't find a boot drive. BUT if i just press F2 to go into bios and then exit without doing a damned thing, it'll boot into Win.

what. the. ffff.

i've tried enabling fast-boot in the BIOS, i've tried restoring to BIOS settings to defaults, the SSD is in simple ATA mode. if i put it into AHCI mode, it won't go into Win and shoves me back into the BIOS freeze situation - wherein it then complains that it can't find a boot device. so i change it to ATA mode.

does anyone have any idea on what to do? it's not acceptable that the ONLY way i can get it to boot into Win is from a cold off condition, and every restart fails to find a bootable drive.

the SSD, by the way, is one that was in another computer for a few months and worked perfectly. it got formatted for the laptop duty.

lastly, if i put the original hard drive back in, a restart / reboot works perfectly fine. but it's a hard drive, slow as molasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS