Laptop build guide?

Miah__grackle

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi, I want to build my own laptop. I'm not a gamer, but the PC I built has lasted almost a decade and is still going strong. WHen I built it, there were lots of websites that suggested specific builds, and I chose one. I can't find one for laptops. Do you all know of a place I can find laptop buidls, or does anybody have a suggestion for one? I don't want to get a shell, and put the rest of the stuff in myself, to be specific -- ie, I don't want to go to Dell and "build" from there.

Solution

The reason you can't find any guides for laptop builds is because it's very hard and not cost effective to put one together yourself. There are no standards for laptop motherboards, connectors, screens, hole locations in cases, etc... There is no...

The reason you can't find any guides for laptop builds is because it's very hard and not cost effective to put one together yourself. There are no standards for laptop motherboards, connectors, screens, hole locations in cases, etc... There is no "ATX form factor" for a laptop motherboard for example. Also many laptops come with the CPU and video card soldered to the motherboard, so you can't pick and choose parts for those.

Best you can do is buy a laptop shell with a screen and case that had a dead motherboard, and buy a new motherboard, CPU, video card for it, but if it's not the same brand and model as the donor shell, those may not work due to locations of the connections or ports.

Take a look at www.xoticpc.com they have very good customization options for laptops, you can select from many different memory types, custom tests, even what thermal paste is used.

Solution