Question Laptop Buying Advice

Sep 13, 2020
I am in the market for a new high end gaming laptop for college (I am going to Game Design School so having a powerful machine for making and playing games is a priority). I've been through a long process so far of buying and returning laptops that didn't work well, and I think I could use some advice from someone who knows more about the market and what I should expect.

First, I bought an Alienware m15 R3, and it was nice for a week or two, then it started to develop some pretty bad problems with freezing and lag spikes. I spent a few weeks working with support running tests, reinstalling drivers, etc. to no avail. On top of that, I wasn't a fan of the poor battery life and crazy hot internals, so I decided to return it.

Next, I bought a Razer Blade 15 Advanced, and right out of the box it had frame rate issues with frame rate drops and lag. I really enjoyed the laptop other than that. After a lengthy time on support with Razer troubleshooting, I decided to give up and return this one as well.

Am I naive to think that these laptops should be able to produce the consistent performance that they advertise? To have similar problems with both laptops makes me think that maybe my expectations are off, but they are being processed as defective units, so maybe I just have bad luck.

With all that being said, I am now in the market for another new system. Are there any recommendations for laptops that would work well and perform? I've heard great things about the Razer Blade 15 Advanced, so if it was just a bad unit that I got, would you recommend getting a new one of those?

Thanks so much for the help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hb06_ Laptop General Discussion 0
Z Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 1
Mr. Colgate Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 2
fistinair Laptop General Discussion 0
Dudugvili Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 2
W Laptop General Discussion 2