Laptop Buying Suggestion

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. The one I have currently is a gaming laptop but the battery is complete crap now and the laptop itself is pretty heavy. Want to sell it and buy a new lightweight travel laptop. Will mainly be used for everyday tasks and no gaming. Might use engineering programs if it can run them. Also, debating between an ultrabook / chromebook? Budget is about $800 or less. Any suggestions?

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

What do you think about this acer swift 3?

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Hmm ok. It seems that the acer has better specs at the $700 price point as it has 8GB RAM, an i5, and an integrated gpu. Seems like something similar on the xps 13 would run at least $200 more, or am I missing something?

Nope not missing anything, but the laptop you linked was $1,000 not $700. Acer is almost always the cheapest option, but there is usually a reason one model is cheaper than another. Acer is in the lower half for reliability in pretty much every survey out there, and the chassis design and materials used are also cheaper. For $1000 range, the Dell XPS is the one to get in the ultraportable range. You can get a Chevy cheaper than a Toyota, but a lot of people still go with the Toyota.

riahim

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Oh, that's weird. Amazon link shows $750 for me. Great analogy between the build qualities. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.